Jonathan Tyler, Ragweed to stomp through Starkville on tour

Rock ‘n’ roll- – it is an American pastime.
    Sure, Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and The Who were all British, but the roots, or soul if you will, emanate from our fair state and run deep through the American fabric.
    Even though pop pervades the airwaves in all its many forms – power-pop, country-pop, pop-rock, you name it – there still remains the rock bands and the rock fans — the dedicated few who know what a good power chord strummed through an amplifier in a smoky bar can do for people.
    Jonathan Tyler and The Northern Lights are no different.
    Taking a page straight from the rock ‘n’ roll playbook, they put a band together, made an album and, lo and behold, have been making some serious noise in the national music scene.
    The band’s 2007 debut album Hott Trottin’ got the band in the spotlight and, into a contract with the original American rock label Atlantic Records.
    It is no surprise this little-band-that-could from the Lone Star state made it onto such a vaunted label.
    The band revels in its soulful blend of Southern rock and for these everyman-musicians, they seem to be doing all they know to do: Rock out.
    JT&TNL is ahead of the curve for a relatively young band, formed in 2007.
    Most bands who have only been together this long are not playing at the same level at they are.
    Touring is one of the tenets of rock, even more so in this digital age, and again Tyler and his band are shooting right up the middle and not only playing sacred ground of the rock world, (think San Francisco’s Fillmore, NYC’s Bowery Ballroom and Antone’s in Austin), but also with rock royalty and the new bearers of the rock banner.
    Commercial fodder aside, the band has been doing shows with Kid Rock, Dave Matthews, Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC. What is impressive is the band playing with critically acclaimed bands like The Black Crowes, JJ Grey and Mofro, Shooter Jennings and even Leon Rusell.
    A band really does not get on the bill with those types of musicians unless it is good, really good.
    For Tyler and the band, it is every rock band’s dream come true.
    “It’s still a crazy experience. We still have those moments of disbelief and shock,” Tyler said. “We just forge ahead, trying to rise to the challenge.”
    The band has the chops, swagger and the sound to go far.
    Tyler’s voice, although reminiscent of the Jagger’s, Plant’s and Robinson’s of the past, has its own unique quality to it.
    It is a clearer, more modern style of vocals that seem to rightfully set this band apart from the rest of the bell-bottom-wearing rock band front man crowd.
    Tyler provides not only the voice for the band, but also the lyrics as well.
    He pens every song the band performs and helps craft the band’s sound.
    “Sometimes, ideas will arise from other people in the group,” Tyler said. “Most of the time, I’m the nucleus of the ideas. I’ve got my hand in every song.”
    Fortunately for Starkville, we get to have a dose of these guys Wednesday night at the State Theatre.
    The show will be a chance to see what could be some future heavy hitters of rock ‘n’ roll while they are still in diapers.
    Johnathan Tyler and The Northern Lights will open the stage for fellow, hard-touring rockers from the West, Cross Canadian Ragweed.
    Basically, a night of big guitars, good lyrics and Southern rock as it should be – live and loud.
    For more information on Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights, including tour dates and to purchase the album Hott Trottin’, go to jonathantylermusic.com.
    Cross Canadian Ragweed’s information, including albums and tour dates, can be found at crosscanadianragweed.com.