Highly anticipated men’s basketball season opens with Rider

After two exhibition games and months of anticipation, the 18th ranked Bulldog basketball team will step on the court Friday night for its first game of the 2009-10 season. Mississippi State tips off against the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Rider Broncs at 8 p.m. in the Hump.
    Expectations and excitement around the program have been growing by the day as the Dawgs approach their season-opener. Coach Rick Stansbury said he does not mind the buzz one bit and looks forward to getting the season started. However, Stansbury said he does not want anyone to think Rider is just a warm-up game. He was quick to point out this is a team that beat NCAA tournament stalwart Siena last year, and said his team will have to be prepared.
    “People don’t understand how good Rider is,” Stansbury said. “Two years in a row they’ve been to postseason play. They’ve got four starters coming back and the [MAAC] Player of the Year coming back. One of the toughest home openers we’ve had in a long time.”
    The key returning starter for the Broncs is preseason MAAC Player of the Year Ryan Thompson, who averaged 18 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game last season for Rider.
    Luckily for the Bulldogs, reigning National Defensive Player of the Year Jarvis Varnado will be protecting the basket.
    However, Stansbury said who plays alongside Varnado will be more difficult to decide, particularly in the opener as MSU will be without 7’1″ freshman John Riek, due to a nine-game suspension, and touted freshman Renardo Sidney, who is still not eligible to play. One thing Stansbury said he knows for sure: Junior Phil Turner must find his way onto the court.
    “We have to work Phil Turner into the mix,” Stansbury said. “Where he will play? I don’t know. He just has to play because he just changes the game, influences the game with his energy. That’s a great ability, energy and toughness. He’ll find a way to be out there.”
    Senior Barry Stewart said he was initially worried about depth behind Varnado, but after seeing the play of freshman center Wendell Lewis, he is no longer concerned. The Dawgs are hopeful Lewis acclimates himself to playing at a SEC level quickly, and Lewis said Varnado has been a tremendous help to him.
    It is often expected for teams to show signs of rust in the season opener, but Stewart said the high level of play by the Bulldogs in their two exhibition games – both wins – has the team prepared for games that count.
    “We’ve had good progress from last week to this week,” Stewart said. “We competed better, and I think we accomplished what we wanted to out of our exhibition games.”
    Junior Kodi Augustus was the star of the exhibition slate, scoring 16 points and coming down with 11 rebounds in the finale against the Georgetown College Tigers. Stansbury said he issued a challenge to Augustus before the game and liked what he saw out of the athletic forward.
    “I’m very pleased with his effort,” Stansbury said. “There will be some things he will get better at, but I’m not displeased with his effort at all. My challenge to him for this game: alter or change the game today somehow other than shooting three pointers, and he did.”
    The Dawgs will certainly need the same versatility from Augustus against Rider, but Varnado said he is less concerned about depth, and just wants to start the season.
    “I’m just ready to play and see what we can do,” Varnado said. “I think this team is ready to do well in the opener.”