Prayer doesn’t take place of medical care

Kara Neumann, 11, died March 23, 2008, of diabetes. I know what you’re thinking right now: “Seriously? Diabetes? Isn’t that treatable?” Yes, it is. It is a manageable condition provided one has the proper medication and monitors his or her diet closely. So now you’re probably thinking, “Is this some story about a girl in some third world country who couldn’t see a doctor and how much people like this need our help?” Nope. Kara was from Weston, Wis., and, as Time Magazine reported, she died because her parents chose to pray for her health instead of seeking medical attention. For this reckless endangerment, her parents will stand trial in the Marathon County Circuit Court next month.
    While I fully believe in the power of prayer, I also believe God gave people brains so they could use them. If someone is smart enough to become a doctor, I believe his or her expertise can be helpful when someone I know is sick. That does not mean I will give up praying for them, or that I will give up hope if doctors say there’s no chance. Miracles happen every day, and I think God can heal people even when the circumstances look bleak or impossible.
    However, God provided us with resources at our disposal so that we could use them to our advantage. People don’t reject school or avoid reading books because they believe God will infuse them with all the knowledge they need. People don’t refuse to eat because they trust God will nourish their bodies. That’s simply not the way the system works. People use what they’re given every day, so why not use medicine or doctors?
    There are many religions and branches of Christianity that refuse medical assistance of any kind, saying all they need is God. I don’t want to call anyone stupid because of personal religious beliefs, but I fail to see any intelligence in rules like these. Other parents have let their children die, like Kara, from easily curable or preventable diseases. That seems awfully unfair to the children who can’t make the decision themselves. It’s also devastating to the family who loses their child. Why bring that kind of pain on yourself? Seems a little masochistic, doesn’t it? To choose to let something terrible and easily preventable happen?
    A lot of religious people with similar beliefs to the Neumanns are quite worried about this trial. They are afraid they might lose their right to treat their children according to their religions. I say, “Good!”
    If you want to harm yourself, then be my guest. I think it’s stupid of you and a waste of life, but it’s ultimately your decision. When someone endangers a child, someone they are supposed to protect, on the other hand, I get upset and angry. How dare a person risk someone else’s life! Isn’t one of the biggest and most important parts of parenting caring for a child? What good are parents who don’t love their kids, teach them and care for them when they are sick?
    It pains me to hear about cases like Kara’s, ones that could have been prevented. I hope this upcoming trial will set a better standard of life for everyone involved and not just placate some crazy religious practice. Perhaps in the future, people will choose medicine alongside prayer instead of thinking it’s an either/or situation.
    Hannah Kaase is a sophomore majoring in animal and dairy science. She can be contacted at [email protected].