Keller Williams’ one-of-a-kind grooves hit Starkville

With his guitar in hand and his bare feet shuffling on an area rug, “jam’s mad scientist” visits Rick’s Cafe tonight.
    Twelve albums ago, Williams was just a self-taught musician from Fredicksburg, Va.
    Using a Gibson Echoplex Delay system, he loops the music sounding from his guitar creating a sound fans could recognize from 50 paces.
    Rick’s Cafe owner Rick Welch said he is very excited about Williams returning to Starkville for the first time in four years, to the day.
    “His first show blew me away,” he said. “I hope people that go to school here now know how great of a musician he is.”
    In the past, Williams had a menagerie of bands including his backing band the WMDs to play eclectic music with.
    This year he is returning to stages as the one-man jam-band show his fans know and love him for.
    He literally plays to the beat of his own drum.
    If someone who has not seen a Williams show had his or her back turned to the stage as he played, they might be surprised to only see one man when hearing the music.
    For those who haven’t seen one of William’s shows it might come as a shock to see just one man playing as they hear the orchestra of music coming from the speakers.
    Senior Spanish major Kinley Caldwell said Willams’ music puts people in good moods.
    “I really like that he’s like a one man band with the way he loops music,” she said. “He is known for his creative covers, and I hear he’s a marvelous cuddler too.”
    Williams’ shows emit an intriguing energy into the audience making it impossible to not enjoy one’s surroundings.
    Junior graphic design student Mary Alice Dear said she has never been to a Keller Williams concert but plans on being at Rick’s for the show.
    “I’m excited to go see him for the first time,” she said. “I haven’t listened to him much, but my friends say that I will like him a lot more after seeing him play live.”
    Keller frequently visits music festivals across the country and tours with other bands such as Bela Fleck and The String Cheese Incident.
    While he gets categorized in with other jam bands, Williams is certainly an act that stands out from the rest.
    Tickets for the Keller William’s show are $20 and are available at the door.