Harris wins N.M. pentathlon

Lady Bulldog track and field standout Marrissa Harris has won in both meets early in the 2009 season and set another NCAA provisional mark on Friday.
    Harris, a senior from Memphis, Tenn., scored 3,874 points to take first place in the pentathlon at the New Mexico Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.
    Assistant coach Brian Fetzer said Harris’ performance is on the brink of a new level. He said she has more room for improvement on her recent marks.
    “[The time] is now where [she] takes steps to become one of the elites,” Fetzer said. “Coming up with a win and an NCAA qualify is great, but there is still a lot left in the tank.”
    Fetzer said Harris did well to outpace and beat another fellow All-American who had beaten her at the 2008 nationals. The second place finisher, Shevell Quinley of the University of Arizona, scored 3,864 points at New Mexico. “Anytime you can win and beat somebody, it is a good thing,” Fetzer said.
    Harris said she did not run the hurdles as fast as she possibly could have, but she did well by setting a provisional mark for the pentathlon.
    “I didn’t run the hurdles quite as fast, but I still got a provisional [mark] to go to nationals,” Harris said. “So for the first meet I did pretty well.”
    Harris said she knows the point range she is aiming for to make nationals.
    “Anything around high 3,900 and 4,000 [points], like my score last year, will get you to nationals because if the championships do not have a big enough automatic pull, then they look at the provisional [qualifying list],” Harris said.
    She said she tries not to think too much about her performance beforehand. She said she has no routine, but tries to stay loose and calm.
    “[Before the run] I just try to relax,” Harris said. “I don’t have a ritual.”
    Juniors LaQuinta Aaron and Dorothy Youmans participated in the event as well for MSU. Aaron scored 2,816 points and Youmans did not finish the event because she re-injured a nagging ankle problem.
    Fetzer said the team did not perform as expected, but the experience taught the athletes a valuable lesson.
    “The meet performance-wise did not go like we would have wanted it,” Fetzer said. “It was definitely a good learning experience.”
    The multi-events take more understanding and experience for the athletes,” Fetzer said.
    MSU’s track and field team, except Aaron, Harris and Youmans, prepare for the Kentucky Invitational Feb. 7 at Lexington, Ky. The three pentathlon competitors will rest and prepare for the Tyson Invitational Feb. 14.