ASA hosts celebration of African culture, music

The Colvard Student Union ballroom was transformed by the sights and sounds of Sunday’s African Night, hosted by the African Student Association.
    ASA President Ernest Kraka said the ASA started working on the event in September and more than 500 people attended this year.
    Master of ceremonies Suleiman Alli opened the program thanking the audience for attending, saying the participants hoped attendees would be both informed and entertained by the event.
    Alli said the ASA chose the event’s theme because the word safari is the Swahili word for journey, and the organization hoped to take the audience on a musical journey throughout Africa.
    After the blessing, participants enjoyed traditional African food, including rice, eggs and chicken.
    Togbui Bakata IV, chief of the Awate traditional area in Ghana, gave the libation, which is necessary before traditional African performances. Bakata is a professor at Alcorn State University.
    ASA music director Robert “Babatunde” Damm said libation is a way to honor ancestors.
    “The libation ceremony is a remembrance of those loved ones and ancestors who have died, an invitation for them to join us and a request for them to help ensure the success of our program,” he said.
    ASA faculty adviser George Adebiyi said the variety of music helped expressed Africa’s diversity, because although it is one continent, it includes many countries.
    “In the 1800s, the Europeans viewed Africa as a ‘giant cake’ to be shared, and they went on to plunder that vast continent … [now] on the positive side, Africa has a rich cultural tradition and diversity that must be cherished and viewed as a rich heritage to build upon,” he said.
    ASA students and faculty performed songs and dances from nine countries: Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania and Jamaica.
    Every song was distinctive to its country, but all the music shared common elements of pulsing rhythms, steady instruments, energetic vocals and upbeat dancing.
    Junior marketing major Adedoyin Adebiyi from Nigeria narrated the fashion show, which featured more than 15 student models representing several countries. The students wore everything from casual shirts to festival clothing to formal wear.
    Alli said Africans tend to favor clothing that is both durable and beautiful.
    “What people wear is usually based on culture and weather,” he said.
    Sophomore secondary educaiton major Cindy Boyett said she enjoyed watching the fashion show.
    “I loved the fabrics that the women wore,” she said. “There was a dress that I would have put a belt around and worn out.”
    Adedoyin Adebiyi said she hopes the event helped show Africa’s culture.
    “I just hoped they [the audience] learned we have a culture,” she said. “That’s the biggest thing – just getting people into our culture and learning about it.”
    Agronomy graduate student Vitalis Temu from Tanzania led several of the songs and dances. He said he enjoyed being able to showcase Africa.
    “[African Night is] just to let people know we are full of love and community,” he said. “We are many tribes, but we share the same heritage when it comes to culture.”
    Temu said African songs have specific messages and purposes.
    “Music is a way for people to express and teach,” he said. “Every [type of] music in Africa is sung for a purpose [and includes] good messages for generations to come.”
    Computational engineering doctoral student Badim Taoufik from Tunisia said the event was successful because of the variety of music and countries that had representatives present.
    “We are few students and it’s a big continent,” he said. “Each country here is represented by group work. It was amazing tonight.”