Kansas State University names Schulz as president

Kansas State University named Kirk Schulz, Mississippi State vice president for research and economic development, as its 13th president Wednesday.
    According to a press release from the Kansas Board of Regents, KSU will formally introduce Schulz to the university Feb. 19 and he will begin his presidency July 1.
    Schulz interviewed for the position in December after KSU President Jon Wefald announced his retirement at the end of the 2009 fall semester. In January, the Kansas Board of Regents narrowed its search for a new president from 12 to three candidates.
    Schulz made the list of three finalists along with Steve Ballard, chancellor at East Carolina University, and Robert Kennedy, president of the University of Maine.
    In January, Ballard decided to stay at East Carolina and Kennedy announced Tuesday that he plans to stay at the University of Maine.
    In a press release, Board of Regents chairwoman Donna Shank said the board was impressed with Schulz’s experience and enthusiasm.
    “Dr. Schulz rose to the top of an exceptional field of candidates,” Shank said. “We are particularly impressed with the level of success and achievement he has attained at each and every stage of his academic and administrative career thus far.”
    MSU President Mark Keenum said Schulz has been a tremendous asset to the university.
    “Mississippi State is losing a valuable member of our team,” Keenum said. “He is an outstanding leader who has a great future ahead of him in this new leadership role.”
    The title of university president adds to Schulz’s already impressive resume, which includes more than 20 years of experience in college faculty and administration.
    Schulz’s new position will bring many challenges, especially with KSU finances.
    According to The Kansas City Star, Kansas lawmakers have proposed cutting the state’s higher education budget by 4 percent. In addition to a possible reduction in state funding, the KSU football program has paid millions in separation settlements after going through several coaching staff changes in recent years.
    Schulz came to MSU in 2001 and served as department head of chemical engineering until 2004. In 2005, he became dean of engineering at MSU’s James Worth Bagley College of Engineering and became vice president for research and economic development at MSU in 2007.
    Schulz’s fellow research associates complimented his service to the school and the quality of his skills and leadership.
    Associate vice president for research Sandra Harpole said she worked very closely to Schulz and that she enjoyed the time she spent working with him.
    “I can’t speak highly enough of his abilities.” Harpole said. “He provided support for researchers and was wonderful for collaborations. Kentucky State is getting an excellent leader. Their gain will be Mississippi State’s loss.”
    Gary Butler, assistant vice president for research and technology development, said he enjoyed working under Schulz.
    “He has fantastic leadership qualities.” Butler said. “He will be a great asset to Kansas State.”
    Director of university relations, Maridith Geuder said Wednesday that no definite plans for Schulz’s replacement have been made.