Alumni to host birthday party

The Mississippi State University family will celebrate the school’s 131st birthday Thursday. The MSU Alumni Association has partnered with Cadence Bank to sponsor the event at the Junction.
    Executive director of alumni activities Jimmy Abraham said the entire MSU family is invited. Attendees are welcome to come-and-go as their schedules allow from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
    “In Alumni Association, the mission is to establish relations with alumni, friends, potential students, students, and faculty,” he said.
    Hamburgers, chips, soft drinks and sweets will be served as long as they are available.
    Like many students, Junior software engineering major Nathan Lewis looks forward to the free food.
    “I’m really excited about the food,” he said. “Free food is my favorite food group.”
    Locally established grassroots country band Nash Street will entertain guests.
    Senior aerospace engineering major Daniel Hare is the bassist for the band. He said the group, which is made up of current students and alumni, is excited to perform at the celebration.
    “We just took a year off, but all five members have attended MSU,” he said.
    Hare said he enjoys sharing his talent with the MSU community
    “It’s great to be able to play for not just our hometown crowd, but our school. We look out and see our professors and friends. It’s almost like playing for family,” he said.
    Lewis said he is inspired by the history and traditions of the school and looks forward to socializing with the alumni.
    “One of my favorite symbols is the cowbell. Not only is it unique to our university, but also helps our football team on defense,” he said. “I know that when I come back as an alumnus, I will still be sneaking in my cowbell in support of my team.”
    On Feb. 28, 1879, Mississippi State University was created by the Mississippi Legislature as a result of the Morrill Act in 1862. The act established Land-Grant Colleges across the United States. Since then, the school has been dedicated to learning, research and service.
    Originally, the 131st birthday event was to be celebrated Feb. 27 but was rescheduled due to severe weather. A gargantuan cake provided by MSU Dining Services was served to students, staff, faculty and friends in the Dawg House Lounge in the Union after events planned for the Drill Field were cancelled.
    Senior international business major Vanessa Nicholson said she recognizes the importance of the birthday.
    “It’s a celebration of MSU’s existence and its continuous growth,” she said. “The alumni tell stories about what happened way back, and they get to see how the university is expanding and progressing.”
    She said the celebration is a great opportunity for students to interact with alumni.
    “It’s so good when the alumni come back,” Nicholson said. “They get a sense of progress knowing that we’re working hard to form a relationship with them.”
    She said the alumni still want to feel like a part of the Bulldog family even after they have graduated.
    “A lot of times the alumni will already be there, and the alumni delegates are helping to bring in students to remind the alumni that they’re still part of the family,” Nicholson said.
    Freshman South Korean exchange student Wooyoung Son said he is very excited about the opportunity to attend the celebration for the school. The accounting student wished MSU a happy birthday.
    “Seng-il chook ha hae!” he said.
    The belated birthday party Thursday initiates the events of Super Bulldog Weekend. Last February, the commemoration attracted 2,500 participants. The Alumni Association expects a great turnout.
    “It’ll be a fun time for everybody that comes out,” Abraham said.