Students collect food for hungry

This week Mississippi State students will have the opportunity to give food to the needy as part of the War on Hunger Food Drive. The drive includes over 22 drop-off locations, including bins in all of the residence halls.
    Chiquita Briley, an assistant professor of food science, nutrition and health promotion and the event’s faculty advisor, said the purpose of drive is a way for students to get rid of food they had during the year before going home.
    “When students are moving out of the residential halls and apartments ,getting prepared for summer vacation, they don’t want to bring food back home,” Briley said. “Many times students will throw away the food.”
    She said the food will go to food pantries in Starkville and will help feed hungry families during the summer.
    “The End of the Year Food Drive was designed to assist the food pantries in the summer months where the need to feed hungry families is higher,” Briley said.
    She said one of the reasons the need is higher in the summer is because needy families are then responsible for meals other than dinner for themselves and their children when school is out.
    “Because of school ending in May, many families with children will now have to be responsible for two additional meals per day – breakfast and lunch,” Briley said.
    The donations will go to local food pantries and churches, which will then distribute the goods into the community.
    One of the groups involved in the food distribution is the Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s of St. Joseph Catholic Church. Chapter president Danny Setaro said his organization is one of the groups that distribute the food received.
    “At this point in time, on our food pantry distribution days, we average dispensing approximately 300 bags per month to [about] 200 patrons. This helps feed over 425 needy people in our county,” he said. “We also deliver food to 25 to 27 homebound patrons on a once- per-month basis.”
    Setaro said students, student organizations and societies are very helpful. He said his group is grateful for the help these students give.
    “We have been recipients of canned goods from the dormitory food drives, as well as honorary groups, fraternities and sororities. To that end, we are very blessed to have such giving and caring students at MSU,” he said.
    Setaro also said his group does its best to work with any organizations on campus in order to further the cause of feeding the needy.
    “We work closely with Dr. Briley in the Day One program and any other programs that we can mutually help one another,” he said.
    Junior food science, nutrition and health promotion major Joan DeSutter said the best way for students to get involved in the food drive is to donate canned goods or other non-perishable items.
    “Students can help by giving just one can to any of the drop off areas,” she said. “This year’s theme is ‘One Person, One Can.'”
    DeSutter said the amount of food that is collected ultimately determines how much food gets distributed to the needy in the Starkville community.
    “Depending on how much food we collect, the more we can give,” She said. “If there is a big enough turnout, we can donate to food pantries in the surrounding area as well.”