BREAKING: MSU football player suspended indefinitely from football team following weekend arrest

JUCO transfer defensive back Maurice Langston was suspended indefinitely from Mississippi State University’s football team following an arrest over the weekend in Hattiesburg.
    According to a Hattiesburg Police Department press release, members of the HPD Highway Interdiction Team stopped a black Jeep Liberty for a traffic violation Saturday. Upon detecting the smell of marijuana, officers searched the vehicle and its occupants, according to the release. The Jeep’s driver, Langston, 20, of Meridian, and James Jenkins, 21, of Columbus, were found to be in possession of about one pound of marijuana, street valued at approximately $1,000. Officers also discovered $500 in the vehicle.
    Both Langston and Jenkins were taken into custody, arrested and charged with one count of possession of marijuana over an ounce with the intent to distribute.
    Forrest County Sheriff Deputy Lisa Johnson said Langston was released Monday on a $10,000 bond.
    Joe Galbraith, assistant director of MSU athletic department’s media relations, said he could not comment on whether or not MSU head football coach Dan Mullen has met with Langston following the arrest.
    “As of Monday morning, Maurice Langston has been suspended indefinitely from the football team with the exception of study hall and any academic responsibilities,” Galbraith said.
    He also refused to comment on Langston’s future status with the football team.
    The Reflector will provide updates as they become available.