Extended vacations may result in break-ins

Extended holidays, like Christmas or Spring Break, often leave students concerned about their remaining belongings on campus or in their apartments.
    Thad Edwards, Mississippi State University Police Department officer and crime prevention coordinator, said there was not much of an increase in crime this past Christmas holiday compared to last school year. He said security personnel will be available during the break.
    “We’ll still have the Bully Patrol out securing the parking lots,” Edwards said.
    He said the Bully Patrol is a student-staffed escort and security service for those on campus.
    “Students that intend to leave their cars on campus need to lock their doors,” Edwards said. “Nothing valuable should be left in eyesight, including textbooks.”
    He said cars break-ins are much more likely to happen during the holiday than residence hall break-ins.
    The residence halls will be open for Spring Break, Edwards said.
    “The only real way a room will be broken into is if the room is left unlocked,” he said.
    Calvin Mosley, associate director for residence life, said break-ins are not a major problem in residence halls.
    “We have very good coverage and presence from staff during the day time hours and night hours,” he said.
    Mosley said housing staff tries to educate the residents on the importance of locking up and securing personal items through meetings and special programs. If something is missing, housing requests students file a report with the university police.
    “We will also do all we can to help locate the stolen items or gather any information we can that may lead to their recovery,” he said.
    Toni Minter, Arbor Acres and Aiken Village residence director, said both areas are calm throughout the school year. Together, the two areas house approximately 600 people.
    “During the holidays most of the residents are still in their apartments. The staff and I have not experienced an increase [in crime] during this time,” Minter said. “By building a community within our community, the residents also let their friends, roommates and neighbors know when they will be gone for long periods so others are aware.”
    Undeclared freshman Jay Robinson, who lives on campus, said she feels comfortable leaving belongings during the extended breaks.
    “I feel comfortable because I take most of my stuff with me,” Robinson said. “Anything I leave can be replaced.”
    She also said she has not heard of anyone on her floor in her residence hall claim possessions had gone missing after a vacation.
    Sophomore elementary education major Lindsey Beasley said she lives off campus in an apartment and she is not concerned about break-ins.
    “We lock all of our windows and doors,” Beasley said. “I don’t know what else we can do.”
    She said her home is close enough for her to check up on her apartment throughout the break.
    “We have security gates too, so that keeps out unnecessary traffic,” Beasley said. “The maintenance men are here during the breaks as well. They kind of keep an eye out for mysterious looking characters.”