House creates resolution to bypass Barbour

The Mississippi House of Representatives passed a resolution last week that will bypass Gov. Haley Barbour and accept all $2.8 billion set aside for the state in stimulus funding.
    Just two weeks ago, Barbour said he may not accept all of the stimulus funds due to conflicts with state unemployment laws. Gov. Bobby Jindal, R-La., and Gov. Sarah Palin, R-Alaska, have also made statements of skepticism against the additional funding.
    The resolution passed by a 69 to 52 margin with House Democrats voting heavily in favor of the bill.
    Democrats believe additional funding for unemployment can be repealed once the stimulus funds have become depleted. The Legislation will move to the Mississippi Senate later this week.
    According to The Clarion Ledger, Lt. Governor Phil Bryant said he does not approve of the bill and believes it will be defeated in the Senate.
    Barbour’s press secretary, Dan Turner, declined to comment on the resolution.
    With the state in limbo on how much of the stimulus to receive, students and faculty are starting to weigh in on the pros and cons of the $787 billion package.
    MSU graduate and newlywed Erica Nix Pounds said she does not think the package will do much to help her or the current recession.
    Pounds said the stimulus will not give the average American enough money to make an economical difference.
    “I don’t think that it [the stimulus] will help us much at all,” Pounds said. “Instead of putting an extra $15 into each paycheck, why not give the money back in bulk. That would help alleviate some debt and it could be invested.”
    Pounds said she would not be spending the extra money in a way meant to rejuvenate the economy.
    “Such small amounts of money we’ll be getting will only be spent on gas or everyday items and do nothing for us or the economy.”
    While some are seeing the package having minimal effect on their lives, others are enjoying the numerous tax breaks it offers.
    Agricultural and biological engineering business major Michele Anderson said she and her family have already reaped benefits from the stimulus due to recently buying a home.
    Junior art major Blake Butler said while he does not agree with the stimulus bill, his family is going to receive major financial assistance from it.
    “With my brother and me in college, my family stands to receive over $4,000 in tax breaks because of the newly passed stimulus,” Butler said. “With that said, I do not think this package will create enough jobs to ignite the economy and after it’s all said and done, our national debt will be in the trillions.”
    Butler, a self-proclaimed Republican, said Obama needs to cut down on spending and keep taxes low to get bipartisan support.
    “Obama needs to cut out all pork spending and not raise taxes on small business owners,” he said. “He campaigned on being something different for our country, and he should not allow wasteful spending to be a part of the stimulus or any other spending bill.”
    As the university and state wait to see whether part or all of the recovery funds will be added to their budgets, students and staff can notify the governor’s office at 601-359-3150 and let their opinions be heard.
    For more information about the stimulus package, visit recovery.gov.