Police: Stalker report falsified

The Starkville Police Department arrested a Starkville resident for filing a false police report on March 13 concerning an alleged perpetrator, who the police are currently investigating.
    SPD Detective Eddie Young said Donisha Jefferson was arrested March 16 for filing the report.
    “She [must have] made it up to receive attention,” he said. “That’s the only reason why I can think of why she would do it.”
    According to Young, Jefferson said an unknown black man approached her at her residence between 2 and 2:30 a.m. and made remarks that he would hurt her and her children.
    “She was under surveillance by the police department,” he said. “We had undercover officers on the scene and did not see anyone approach the house.”
    Despite the falsified report, Young said a predatory threat may still be present in Starkville.
    “We have the report from [Ward Stewart Elementary School], and we feel that it is a viable report,” he said.
    According to a Starkville School District press release, several children were playing a game of hide and seek in a grassy area located behind the school when a man appeared inside the fence in the area.
    Young said a slender, tall black man with shoulder-length braids allegedly approached some of the children.
    “A school official notified the police,” he said. “The school was placed on lockdown while the police searched the area.”
    Young said he was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and a sweatshirt.
    “He allegedly left in a black four-door Honda or Nissan,” he said.
    This case is still an ongoing investigation, Young said.
    “We are not trying to scare anyone, but we want people to take it upon themselves to be more aware of their surroundings,” he said. “We have been asking people to pay closer attention to their surroundings so they do not become victim of someone who would attempt to possibly abduct them.”
    Superintendent Judy Couey said in a press release that the Starkville School District fully recognizes the seriousness of the situation along with the SPD.
    “The Starkville School District’s first priority is always the safety of our children, and we will take every precaution necessary to protect all of our children and provide them with a safe environment for learning and playing,” she said in the press release.
    SPD Police Chief David Lindley said the department is continuing its effort to identify the perpetrator.
    To report any information about the case, contact the Starkville Police Department at 323-4131.