Inviting diversity

During a fiesta demonstration, karate instructor Doug Bedsaul finishes a taekwondo form upon a green belt, Ken Meehan.

As a parade of national flags worked its way past Dorman Hall to Davis Wade Stadium against blustery winds and gray skies, people of all cultures joined together Saturday for the 19th annual International Fiesta.
    An estimated 1,000 people took in a large array of dance, music and food from around the world while battling rapidly falling temperatures and wet grounds. The community wide event was sponsored by the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and the Mississippi State University International Education and Study Abroad Office.
    Shaz Akram, assistant director of the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said while the conditions were less than ideal, the event was successful.
    “While we are not able to do this under the sunshine and on the Drill Field, we still had a great turnout and everyone seems to be having a wonderful time,” Akram said. “After you see everyone smiling, then you know all the work that goes into it is well worth it.”
    Beginning in 1991 as a small community get-together at the plaza of the National Bank of Commerce (now Cadence Bank), the International Fiesta has blossomed into an on-campus event attracting people from throughout the state with more than 20 countries represented and 30 student groups participating.
    Joan Mylroie, executive board member of the World Neighbors Association, said the fiesta’s success is reflected in the event’s attendance over the past eight years.
    “Every year the fiesta would get a little bigger and then over the past eight years it has stayed consistent with really high attendance,” Mylroie said. “It is so great for the university and for the students to show and give just a little bit of themselves and learn about one another’s culture.”
    Students and Starkville residents from nearly every continent took part in the cultural showcase. International student groups such as the Japanese Club, Hispanic Student Association and Association of Thai Students had booths set up, selling native food or desserts in efforts to raise money. These groups also faced off in competitions such as best-tasting food and table decor.
    Nigerian senior poultry science major Ademola Oladunjoye said he and his fellow international students look forward to the fiesta every year.
    “It is a very nice program to have students see what our home countries are like and meet new students,” Oladunjoye said. “It is nice for international students to have this type of program because we can unite and learn more about one another every year.”
    Wearing clothes of light tan and gold from his homeland, Oladunjoye said events such as the fiesta help make MSU more comfortable to international students and place their culture in a large venue for others to learn about.
    Students were not the only ones in attendance with families of all races coming out to celebrate diversity. Face painting, pi–atas and various games helped to entertain children while parents participated in the buffet of international cuisine and dancing.
    Katina Prosi of Starkville brought both of her young daughters to the event as a part of a local Girl Scouts group. Prosi said the fiesta was something different for her family.
    “This is the first time we all have been to [the fiesta], and it has been really fun,” she said. “It has been a great way to teach my girls about different cultures, and I have learned some new things myself too.”
    As this year’s fiesta ended, Akram said events such as these would not come together if not for the work of students.
    “The students are really the golden standard here and give so much to make the fiesta and other events successful,” she said. “Everyone here today and around the world has such good hearts and want to make the world a better place. This event shows that we are the People’s University without borders and will accept anyone.”
    For more information about next year’s fiesta or to become involved with the World Neighbors Association, contact Akram at 325-2033.