MSU linksters earn second title

The MSU men’s Golf squad claimed its second tournament victory of the season over the weekend, winning the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate Title. This was the seventh tournament victory for the Bulldogs under current coach Clay Homan.
    The Bulldogs entered the final round of play Tuesday with an eight-stroke lead. Despite rough weather conditions, they were able to build on their lead by shooting a team-total final round of 299, good enough to give the Dawgs a nine-stroke lead and the tournament title.
    The Bulldogs have now won two of their past three tournaments. Many on the team agree with Homan, who said he believes the team is beginning to peak at the right time of the season.
    With the SEC Championship right around the corner in April, the Bulldogs are hoping to maintain their current momentum to finish out the year strong.
    “Top to bottom, we’re playing the best we have all year,” Homan said. “It’s better to be doing that this time of the year instead of in the fall.”
    The MSU squad had its fair share of sharp individual performances as well.
    Senior Josh Bevell finished second overall in the tournament, claiming a three-day total score of 3-over-par. Bevell’s second place finish was the best of his career.
    “I did some things well this week,” Bevell said. “I’m pretty happy with how I scored but not necessarily happy with everything I did.”
    Noah Goldman, also a senior, finished four shots back of Bevell. Goldman would go on to finish the tournament tied for fifth overall with a three-day score of seven-over-par. Bulldog seniors Matt Fast and Carlos Sainz, Jr. also finished the tournament in the top 15 with scores of eight and nine-over-par, respectively. For Sainz, this was his sixth top-20 finish of the season, tops on the team.
    The Bulldogs are hoping for a strong showing in the upcoming weeks in the SEC Championship and NCAA Regionals. They have made it clear that they will not settle for anything less than an appearance in the NCAA Championship.
    “Making it to nationals and having some success there would be our ultimate goal,” Goldman said. “Making it there would mean a good season for us and I know we would be pretty disappointed if we missed out.”
    Homan said this team is probably the best he’s had at Mississippi State top to bottom. If the Bulldogs were to make the NCAA Championships, it would be hard to argue with that statement, as Homan’s Bulldogs would be the first team in school history to make the championships in consecutive seasons.
    For now, the Bulldogs will focus on their next tournament, the Reunion Intercollegiate. The tournament will be held in Madison April 6 and will be the final regular season tournament.
    Homan said he is hoping for a strong finish to the season for his players.
    “Playing in our home state, I’d like to win that tournament to end the guys’ career in fine fashion,” Homan said. “I’d like to see our seniors go out on a good note.”