Dawgs scale Rocky Top

There is no rest for the weary as the Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs (10-7, 1-2 SEC) face their second top 10 opponent and fourth ranked opponent of the season Thursday when they will take on the No. 4 Tennessee Lady Volunteers in Knoxville. MSU will go into Thompson-Boling Arena riding a two-game losing streak.
    “We are going to have to go into practice encouraging, evaluate film and teach,” MSU head coach Sharon Fanning said. “You have to coach up a young team and also have to do some positive evaluations.
    “We will go back and regroup and hopefully be better prepared for the next game.”
    After facing All-American C/F Sylvia Fowles in their last game the Lady Bulldogs will have their hands full again trying to contain All-American Candace Parker, who comes in averaging 19.7 points, 8.7 rebounds and just under three blocks per game.
    Coach Fanning will be sticking to her guns with a game plan of playing defense, rebounding and contesting shots.
    But against players like Parker, who is so talented and has size, State will need to “rotate on the perimeter, try to contest shots and help in the post,” Fanning said.
    The Lady Vols are on a roll and have not lost since Dec. 3 against North Carolina, who will likely be No. 1 when the next polls are released.
    Imesia Jackson leads the Lady Bulldogs in scoring at just under 12 points per game.
    However in SEC play MSU has been led in scoring by sophomore guard Marneshia Richard, who averages 14.3.
    Playing against a storied program such as Tennessee – especially playing them at their home arena in Knoxville – intimidation is a big obstacle for the young Bulldogs.
    However, Fanning is confident in her team’s ability to respond.
    “It takes care of itself when you are facing an SEC team,” Fanning said. “The SEC is always going to be tough. All you can do is prepare them with fundamentals. It is up to them to execute.”
    “We just have to go out and play hard every night and know that every game is winnable and every team is beatable,” Richard said. “No matter who the team is, we have to keep up our intensity for every game.