Campus construction continues

Work on the Union and McCool Hall continues, while the renovation of Lee Hall has drawn to a close.The Union has been under construction since August 2006. University architect Tim Muzzi said he expects the Colvard Student Union to re-open according to schedule.
    “We should, barring any problems, occupy the building by Aug. 1, 2007,” Muzzi said.
    Muzzi said that while the contractor’s contract extends through November 2007, the extra time should not be necessary.
    “The contractor is going to do everything he can to get us in Aug. 1,” he said.
    Muzzi said problems such as severe weather and other poor conditions for outside work can delay construction, but so far things have gone smoothly.
    “Right now, it appears it is on schedule,” Muzzi said.
    Built in 1964, the Colvard Student Union was in desperate need of reconstruction. Muzzi said that parts of the building were out of code and needed to be changed in order to meet proper building code requirements.
    “It’s over 40 years old,” he said. “It was in dire need of renovation to meet the codes and the function and mission.”
    Upon completion of its renovation, the Union will be more attractive and appealing to MSU students and faculty, Muzzi said. With the addition of new venues in an updated building, the Union will be able to better serve students.
    “The mission of the Union has somewhat changed. It’s becoming more student-oriented,” Muzzi said.
    Muzzi said the area in the Union dubbed the Dawg House, which will host the student government and other meeting rooms, is one of the things that makes the Union better equipped to meet the mission of properly serving students.
    Currently the student government and some student organizations have been meeting in the top two floors of the YMCA building. When the Union reopens, there will be more space and meeting rooms for students to utilize.
    The Union’s food court will have more space for dining and will host five food venues instead of four.
    Union director Eddie Keith could not be reached for comment but said in an earlier interview that the food court plans include a hamburger venue, Asian or Mexican restaurant, sandwich or health foods shop, Italian/pizza retaurant and Chick-fil-A.
    There are also plans for a cyber caf and coffee shop, along with a bank, ATMs, a convenience store and other venues to attract and supply students with what they need.
    “We’re adding about 16,000 square feet and putting a new skin on the building,” said Muzzi.
    Except for the southwest corner, which is brick, Muzzi said that all the exterior walls of the Union have been removed. They will be replaced, and the southwest corner will be stained to match the standard of brick on campus, Muzzi said.
    Construction on McCool Hall began Jan. 3, 2006. The building, which houses the College of Business and Industry, should be complete in May, Muzzi said.
    The 52,000 square foot addition to McCool will provide more classrooms as well as some faculty offices.
    The addition includes a three-level student gathering area with a large atrium, Muzzi said. The elliptical-shaped area will have a glass-curtained wall and will provide an open space for students to gather and study.
    Also added to McCool will be a small tiered auditorium in the northwest corner that can serve as a classroom for 250 to 300.
    Muzzi said that a sprinkler system has been put into McCool and ceiling tiles have been replaced. He said there are hopes of renovating the restrooms as well.
    “We are looking at developing the corridor between McCool, Montgomery, the Union and Perry Cafeteria to make it more of a pedestrian and student-friendly walkway,” Muzzi said.