Race for East crown heats up

Brent Wilburn is a senior majoring in physical education He can be contacted at [email protected].With all of the usual fanfare being given to the Southeastern Conference during the past few weeks, the SEC East hasn’t received as much praise as the SEC West.
    College football experts have all but crowned Louisiana State University as the queen of the SEC prom. While the Tigers could possibly take the crown, it is far too early to cast your ballot in the box.
    There are still some pretty teams left for consideration. And, believe it or not, the seemingly lowly SEC East courts these lovely dames.
    Last season didn’t provide a crowning moment for five of the six SEC East teams, but all six of these teams have a chance to dance at the end of this season. I have ranked the six teams in the order of attractiveness for the upcoming season.
    1. Florida
    The reigning prom queen has to be considered the favorite to reclaim her crown. She is still beautiful and has the possibility to remain as beautiful as she was last year.
    However, she could easily lose her crown. Even though Florida won a total of 13 games last season, five of those wins were by seven points or less.
    It could be argued that Florida has nowhere to go but down, but with the athletic sophomore Tim Tebow at quarterback and one of the best coaches in college football in Urban Meyer, this beauty looks too good right now to decrown.
    2. Tennessee
    This is a beauty that has a chance to take the top prize every year. There’s something about the colors that she wears that makes her attractive, and she will make those colors look even better this year.
    The first test of her beauty will come in the first game of the season at the University of California, who is currently ranked as the number 12 team in the country. If she can defeat Cal, then her self-confidence should be high enough to compete for that crown.
    3. Kentucky
    Kentucky is the ugly chick from middle school, who turns into the hot chick in high school. She started her transformation last season, and she will continue that change this year.
    Kentucky will return 15 starters from last season’s team, including quarterback Andre Woodson, who will try to make himself a household name this season. He led all SEC quarterbacks in touchdowns last season (including the number one pick in the NFL draft, JaMarcus Russell), and he’s looking to improve on that number this year.
    For those who scoffed at this ugly chick in middle school, now might be the time to claim her before she starts vying for the prom queen crown.
    4. Georgia
    Georgia has the potential to be the complete opposite of Kentucky during this season. She was the hot chick a few years ago, but her looks are fading fast.
    Without better quarterback play from Matthew Stafford, who threw almost twice as many interceptions than touchdowns last season, and better offensive production in general, she might continue her downward spiral.
    5. South Carolina
    This girl’s looks are starting to improve, but they won’t improve this season. She will either maintain her slightly improved looks from last year or she will gain a few pounds.
    By taking a look at South Carolina’s schedule, a strong start is possible, but this prom queen hopeful will probably fizzle out in the end.
    6. Vanderbilt
    She is used to the ugly chick role by now, and she’s the most likely to take that role this season.
    In fact, there’s not another team in the division that could play the role better. The world wouldn’t be complete without Vandy ending the season in last place of the SEC East.
    The season will play out as we find out who will win the crown.
    But in this writer’s opinion, Florida will bring sexy back again, and Vanderbilt will remain the ugly chick who makes all the other girls look hotter than they really are.