Old Main Plaza plans progressing

In the hopes of making MSU a more pedestrian-friendly campus, the school will undergo an extensive building project that will include a memorial of the Old Main Dormitory. Executive director of facilities Jim Jones said there is no set time for construction yet because the design plan is not finished. Jones also said once construction begins, breaking the project down into several phases will help reduce interruption as much as possible.
    “Our goal must be to continue to push forward with the vision of the university and minimize the effect that the disruptions will have on those who use it,” he said.
    Jones said he and other officials have met with students, faculty and staff at MSU and have tried to accommodate their needs as well.
    “In order to make progress, there must be some disruption to services,” he said.
    Part of the Old Main Plaza project includes removing the road in front of Perry Cafeteria and the State Fountain Bakery and replacing it with a grassy area resembling a patio. Parking on the patio area will not be an option.
    Approximately 52 parking places will be lost as a result of the memorial once the project is complete.
    “We are losing spaces, but many of them are being shifted around,” MSU parking operations director Mike Harris said.
    Barricades set down as construction starts on Lee Blvd. will not present a problem to emergency vehicles.
    Because parking will be affected by the project, officials are looking at prospective sites for a parking garage on campus, Harris said.
    “Some groundwork has been accomplished for a parking garage,” he said.
    According to the plan, the parking garage will hold approximately 900 to 1,000 cars. It would also allow parking for Lee Hall, the Union and Perry Cafeteria.
    “It has the potential to help people in many ways,” Harris said.
    The entire idea behind this project was to promote a healthy environment, he said.
    He also said the shuttle system will prove to be more valuable as less parking is available.
    As plans for the Old Main Plaza project evolve, Harris said he believes that staying on task will be important in the project’s success.
    “We must stay focused on our goals and everything will be fine,” Harris said.
    The Old Main residence hall housed an estimated 1,000 students.
    It was famous for being the largest dormitory in the world until it burned down in 1959.
    Old Main was located where the Colvard Student Union and McCool Hall stand today.
    The Old Main Plaza will share characteristics similar to the Old Main residence hall.