Veteran defense to anchor Bulldogs

In the past, when questions about technique or leverage were asked among the Mississippi State defensive linemen, it was normally Titus Brown seeking the answers.That is no longer the case. Brown has become the leader in a new group of young defensive linemen.
    Brown, a senior from Tuscaloosa, Ala., said he doesn’t mind the questions because they come with the role of being a team leader.
    “Being a leader is a tough role, you have all the younger guys watching you, but I don’t mind because I had guys I would turn to,” Brown said. “I take it very seriously.”
    The Bulldogs need Brown to take it seriously, as he has the task of helping anchor a defensive line that must rebuild after the loss of key players last season.
    Gone are the likes of Michael Heard, Andrew Powell, Antonio Johnson and Deljuan Robinson, guys in which Brown says he often turned to, with both Heard and Johnson moving on to the NFL.
    Also gone is Brick Haley, who had coached the defensive line since head coach Sylvester Croom’s arrival in 2004. Haley left to work in the NFL with the Chicago Bears.
    New defensive line coach David Turner, who joins the staff after serving the past season as defensive ends coach at Alabama, said he sees improvement in his group of men.
    “We’ve had some good days in this fall practice,” he said. “I think it’s a combination of the guys getting zeroed in on LSU, as well as them getting more comfortable with me. They understand some of the techniques better as well.”
    Moving into the starting role as the defensive end opposite Brown will be senior Avery Hannibal.
    Hannibal played in all 12 games last season as a reserve, recording eight tackles and one sack. He said Brown helped him get a better understanding of what it takes to play defensive end.
    “He’s helped me learn to use things I already have as my strengths, like my speed and hands,” Hannibal said.
    “I think more like a defensive end.”
    The 6-foot-1-inch, 250-pound Brown hasn’t always had it so easy at defensive end.
    His first full season at the position was just last year. He had previously played linebacker and said it took him awhile to adjust to the move.
    “It was hard at first because I was used to standing up and reading the play, but at defensive end, it’s more of trying to win your gap,” Brown said.
    It turned out to be a good move for Brown.
    Last season, he recorded 38 tackles with 7.5 sacks, which was a team high and earned him a second team All-SEC honor.
    His 14.5 tackles for loss and sacks ranked third and fifth respectively in the conference.
    In fall camp, the coaching staff was finally able to fill the two tackle spots it had been seeking since spring practice.
    Sophomore Kyle Love and junior college transfer Jessie Bowman have emerged out of the pack of linemen, and Croom said he’s confident in the selections.
    “Right now our line is solid,” he said. “We’ve got good experience and depth, and they’re ready to roll.”
    A preseason All-SEC candidate, Brown said he has one goal in mind for this season.
    “I want to help this team have a winning record and reach a bowl game,” he said.