Union opening delayed

Due to the unfinished renovation of the Colvard Student Union, MSU officials decided at an August meeting to push back the building’s expected opening date to Nov. 1.Union director Eddie Keith said the primary reason for the three-month delay is that West Brothers, the construction company hired to renovate the the Union, stopped construction while new dining services company Aramark made plans for the food court located on the first floor.
    “Part of the deal was that Aramark would take over the food court,” Keith said. “It didn’t make sense for West Brothers to keep up with their work [until decisions were made].”
    Three Aramark food options: Zoca, Miso and Bleecker Street Deli will be available in The Union, along with three other choices including Sbarro, Chik-fil-A and Starbucks, he said.
    Construction paused until the Aramark companies and three other companies agreed upon plans for the food court, Keith said.
    “West Brothers not only had to stop and wait, but they had to undo a little of what they’d [already] done,” he said.
    Assistant vice president for student affairs Bill Broyles said neither West Brothers nor Aramark are the cause for the delay.
    “The original contract actually calls for sometime in December,” he said, “but West Brothers wanted to get it done by August 1. They [construction workers] have been working seven days a week, around the clock.”
    Another major reason for the Union opening late is due to delays from material supplier GFRC (Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete).
    Other setbacks contributed to the delayed opening of The Union, Keith said.
    JH&J landscape architect Bruce Wood simultaneously worked on the Union and the Old Main landscaping project, so work on The Union was sometimes delayed, he said.
    Keith also said the contractors and construction workers found several foundation problems that did not show up on the blueprints before construction on the Union began.
    So that the Union opens as early as possible, Union officials continue to hold monthly meetings with those involved in the construction process, including architects, contractors and subtractors, he said.
    Keith said he believes the main inconvenience students will see is the lack of food choices on campus.
    “People will adjust and it will give them something to look forward to,” he said. “Having to wait will be worth it because [the Union] will be fantastic when it opens.”
    Senior microbiology major Gary Jefcoats said he does not understand why the Union is not open by now.
    “As a senior and a transfer student, I feel a little cheated,” he said. “When I transferred here last year, there was no Union. Since it [the Union] is supposed to be the central harbor of a college campus, I have been excited to experience it. Now we have to wait three extra months.”
    Junior kinesiology major Heather Fayard said the late opening of the Union adds to the already limited parking available oncampus.
    “It stops the students and faculty from getting to class on time,” she said.
    Fayard also said Aramark should have been equipped with a plan before it took over MSU dining services.
    “They should have known to come up with a plan so construction wouldn’t have had to stop,” she said.