Vick’s apology shows he just doesn’t understand

“Dogfighting is a terrible thing, and I did reject it,” said Michael Vick in his Monday news conference held shortly after pleading guilty to one count of felony Conspiracy charges in U.S. District Court in Richmond, Va.Astounding news. Does the light switch in Vick’s head contain an on position? This statement, however, begs the question: When did he reject it? That morning? When he learned that the Atlanta Falcons filed papers to recoup his 20 million plus signing bonus? Or did this revelation occur after his felony indictment?
    Obviously, it did not apply while holding an underperforming bitch’s head under water asking his accomplices, “She’s not moving now but how about I hold her down just a few more minutes?”
    What an atrocious series of events. This story resonates on many levels.
    As caretaker of two formerly homeless dogs, my compassion for canines leads me to conjure up a multitude of images involving Michael Vick and that instrument used by dogfighters to breed more fighting dogs: “rape stick.” How about that first night in prison, Michael?
    It also forces a person to break away from the emotion of the vicious killings and look at the interstate gambling issue that Vick clearly wants to avoid if he believes there is a possibility of returning to the NFL.
    But there is still much more to this sadistic and sickening story.
    In assessing the well-rehearsed admission of guilt in Monday’s news conference, let’s zoom in on what he did not say. Even though it’s semi-comforting to hear that Vick has found Jesus and has turned his life over to God, one wonders if these words flowed out of sincere conviction or prep sheets his attorneys and handlers fed him when he was backed into a corner facing incarceration in federal prison. I certainly hope they reveal a person committed to renouncing a life as a dogfighting aficionado.
    Vick apologized for “my immature acts.” But labeling his heinous actions simply as “immature” further proves that not only is he still immature but also he does not possess the capacity to fully understand the nature of his criminal enterprise.
    It is incredulous that participation in dogfighting just to wager on the length of time it takes for canines to maim and kill one another and to drown or hang dogs deemed unfit to fight can be classified as an “immature act.”
    Vick made no admission even close to: “I hung dogs that were not performing well until they were lifeless and no longer writhing and kicking, and others I electrocuted. My actions were reprehensible, inhumane, violent and ugly. I urge all kids listening today never to become involved in dogfighting. And if you know of anyone currently engaged in this heinous activity, then please call 911.”
    No. Nothing even close rolled out of his mouth. His news conference could have been one to send a message to those still involved in dogfighting and to encourage youth not even to think about pursuing such an evil activity.
    Vick still enjoys lying in the same way he lied to his boss, Arthur Blank of the Falcons, and also to Roger Goodell. But his multi-million dollar defense team most assuredly conducted “Post-Plea News Conference 101,” drills with emphasis on remorse protocols. During the last month, Vick had plenty of time to rehearse this script and commit it to memory.
    One hopes that Michael Vick’s remorse proves sincere and that his prison bed confession invoking the name of the Almighty and his only begotten Son causes this talented athlete to repent, redeem, reflect and rededicate his remaining years to convincing youth to avoid walking down his blood-soaked path.