Delta Xi Phi sponsors foreign film series

The new Cultural Movie Series began Wednesday featuring “Over the Rainbow,” a Korean romantic comedy. The Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority began the idea of a Cultural Movie Series to bring more diversity to the Mississippi State campus.
    The series will show a movie representing a different country once a month.
    This month was Korean, October will be Spanish and November will be French. “I think it’s really good for anyone majoring in Spanish or French to see a movie in the language,” DXP President Elizabeth Harris said.
    The point of the series is for American and international students to be able to enjoy a movie night together, while learning about each other.
    “It’s good for people to meet people from other countries,” Harris said.
    The movie chosen, “Over the Rainbow,” was about a man who was in a car accident and lost part of his memory.
    After the accident he falls in love with the voice of a woman on his answering machine. He spends the movie trying to find out who he loves.
    “We wanted to show something different than the usual,” said Alyssa Walz, the treasurer of DXP.
    “It’s easier to watch movies in another language than read books. Everyone loves movies.”
    Harris and Walz said they hoped students would enjoy the movies and begin to have their own foreign movie nights together.
    “We are hoping it’s a good turnout this year so we can keep doing it,” Harris said.
    The movie drew about twenty people, with a mix of international and American students.
    “I just found this information on the Web site,” Hong Feng Wang, a genetics graduate student from China, said. “I liked it.”
    Sung Kwang, an MSU graduate student from Korea, had already seen the movie, but enjoyed the night.
    “I want to see the title of the next movie,” Kwang said.
    The series is only planned out until the end of the semester. Harris and Walz hope to find more movie ideas for the spring.
    “Maybe people from other countries will give ideas,” Harris said.
    DXP plans to have an art show at the end of the fall semester for students to draw their views of diversity.
    There are also plans of a unity week and diversity banquet in the spring semester. “We try to lead by example,” Walz said.
    The DXP Sorority was founded nationally on April 20, 1994, but it was founded at MSU on Oct. 7, 1998.
    The sorority dedicates itself to promoting diversity, multiculturalism and friendship.
    The sorority will hold an interest session next Tuesday and Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Lee Hall room 206.