‘Walking campus’ requires benches

David Merritt is a junior majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected].I doubt these plans to make our campus a “walking campus” were thought out very well, mainly because every time I walk somewhere on campus, I’m surrounded by the sounds of construction.
    All I ever hear are drilling, smashing or explosions. I feel as if I’m an extra in some sort of post-apocalyptic “Mad Max” spinoff. No one wants to be in that damn movie, and no one wants to walk around a crummy looking campus.
    But the real problem is that I don’t think it occurred to anyone that, with all of this newfangled “walking” going on, someone might actually want to sit down for a second. I think some more benches are in order around here. Honestly, how many benches do you see around campus? You might find a few near some of the dorms or maybe near the library but that’s about it. Benches are a near extinct species I’m afraid. We must save them.
    How are people supposed to enjoy the beauty of our campus if they can’t sit down to relax and take it all in?
    For that matter, how are people supposed to enjoy life if they can never slow down and stop for a moment to truly see the things that make life worthwhile? It’s the fault of no one in particular, but I feel as if we’ve forgotten how to relax.
    College has most of us thinking about the future and progress and all that jazz, but what about right now?
    Look outside. It might be sunny. Maybe a nice cool breeze is blowing. Maybe the trees are offering a bit of shade. Maybe you shouldn’t be so busy that you always miss these things.
    We should try to enjoy what we have in the moment and what is right in front of us, because in reality, that’s all we have.
    So don’t give into all this planning, dreaming and worrying-about-the-future-because-it-matters-but-it’s-pointless-to-worry-because-it-doesn’t-change-anything bull crap. Instead, join my new underground bench building club.
    Don’t tell anyone, but we meet on Thursdays at midnight at the flagpole. Bring some nails, paint and wood. Viva la rsistance de relaxation!