National defense leader speaks at Honors Forum

National Defense Intelligence College leader A. Denis Clift shared his views on globalization during a presentation in Griffis Hall on Friday.Clift serves as a member on the United States-Russia Joint Commission on Prisoners of War/Missing in Action organization with MSU President Robert ‘Doc’ Foglesong.
    He discussed the topic “The Dynamics of Globalization: The Shaping of Leaders” at the Honor’s Forum.
    In his speech, Clift demonstrated how much globalization affects lives and how important it is for future leaders to be aware of it as well.
    “Since we are more interconnected with the rest of the world, the way we train our leaders must change as well,” he said.
    Cade Smith, assistant dean and director of the Appalachian Leadership Honors Program, said he believes Clift’s message is applicable to students, especially those who desire to lead one day.
    “We need to understand the connectivity between different cultures and societies to be a good leader,” Cade said.
    David Breaux, department head of political science and public administration, said Foglesong has made leadership an important issue on campus, during the time he has spent at MSU.
    “Having someone to talk on this subject is something that our students should be interested in,” Breaux said.
    Because MSU has a growing number of international students, the message is important, Clift said.
    “We must have a greater appreciation of who people are, what governs their lives and their culture to have a better relationship with people from other countries,” he said.
    Clift said he believes that human interconnection with the global community happens in a number of ways.
    The interconnection includes the rise of the Internet and a computer generated Web. It also includes instantaneous satellite communication, global transportation by jet and the changing industry of economy and commerce.
    In his speech, Clift discussed the issues that accompany living in an interconnected community.
    “It [living in an interconnected community] has produced a set of new challenges and threats,” he said. “It has created a new playing field.”
    Clift spoke about issues ranging from the illegal trafficking of human beings and narcotics, international proliferation of weapons and international terrorism.
    The Appalachian Leadership Honors Program, Shackouls Honors College and the department of political science and public administration worked together to sponsor the Honors Forum.
    Junior psychology major Michael Chapa, who is originally from Sudan, said he found the program educational.
    “These kind of programs help people understand other cultures,” he said.
    Cade said students need to realize the importance of broadening their global perspective to benefit their educational endeavors and future opportunities.
    Breaux said it is important that students are educated about the subject of globalization.
    “Students need to be aware of globalization, how it affects their lives and the opportunities and issues it brings,” he said.