Dining changes lack variety, health

Melissa Harper is a senior majoring in biological sciences. She can be contacted at [email protected].What really fries my cheese right now is the lack of healthy or somewhat healthy food options on campus. I am not saying Mississippi State doesn’t offer us many different diners in which to stuff our faces.
    It’s only that sometimes you don’t want to eat a Whopper when you are just a little hungry. Sometimes you just want a snack rich in protein and fortified with calcium and vitamin C.
    You can’t get that on campus anymore. You have to buy a combo.
    What I am trying to get at is that the old places on campus where you could pick and choose small items to make your own meal are now gone. They have been replaced with well-known and loved franchises.
    I think we are on a fast track to high cholesterol and an order of “please keep your shirt on.” I love that commercial.
    I think it is wonderful that Mississippi State is adding these new establishments on campus but I am also a little sad to see the old places go.
    Maybe my fifth year of college has got me feeling a little nostalgic, but I really miss some of that old school charm from yesteryear.
    Gooch’s Deli is the first place I think about. The hilariousness of its name and its smorgasbord of various food kept me as a returning customer, again, with the choices. Included in the deli was the late great Stone Willy’s Pizza. Am I the only one that misses that place?
    Even if you smelled like a fry daddy the rest of the day after eating there, it was well worth it.
    You could imagine my horror when I saw that Burger King had taken over my once favorite mid-morning snack joint.
    This BK lounge was needed in the Starkville community because we all know we love the Croissan’Wich, but I was a little disappointed to see it on campus.
    I liked Gooch’s Deli because there was a plethora of enticing food selections, whether you wanted to be healthy or not.
    It’s all about having options. It seems like the only choices we have to make are whether or not to order regular or curly fries with that combo.
    Some may argue that Subway is here, and I know people like to eat fresh. But then again, it’s in a trailer. I prefer to stay far away from trailers if given the choice.
    Maybe since the Union is making its triumphant return soon, I can stop complaining.
    However, because I am one of the lucky transitional period students, I won’t be here to enjoy the fruits of everyone’s labor. So, the bellyaching continues.
    I also miss Food for Thought – no, not the new and improved one, but the old one that was known for slinging Hot Pockets and coffee.
    OK, Einstein Brothers Bagels is all nice and shiny and the coffee they offer is pretty delicious. But the only thing they really have to eat is bread. They have bagels and pastries, maybe a bagel topped with some lunchmeat if you’re lucky.
    I miss fresh fruit, granola, energy bars, many different candy choices and chili cheese dogs.
    Yeah, I said it. Chili cheese dogs aren’t all that healthy, but again, you have an option. If you were never lucky enough to have a chili dog at the library, then I pity you.
    Change is great, but lets have some changes that include students having more choices and healthy alternatives in case you are one of those watching your girlish figure.
    I think we should have a smoothie place on campus. How wonderful would a Smoothie King be?
    You could make weight-conscious girls and meathead protein chaser guys happy all at the same time. It would be one big happy, meal-replacement family.
    I think it’s a great idea, but I also think sterilization is a great idea, so there you have it.