Lyceum Series will feature MSU talents

The Lyceum Series stretches over a period of months beginning in fall and lasts until the end of spring, thus establishing an actual “season” for the arts each year at Mississippi State University and its surrounding community. Along with the major performances, MSU talents are showcased in the Chamber Series. The Chamber Series is an opportunity to witness more personal performances, as the performers are MSU’s musical instructors.
    Sheri Falcone, a woodwinds instructor within the Music Department at MSU will christen the series as the leading act at the Sept. 20 event.
    “All of my free time is dedicated to the performance,” said Falcone, who has become hard-pressed for time between her usual scholastic responsibilities and preparing her performance.
    According to Falcone, interpretive dancers will be accompanying the two musicians on stage, presumably to add a visual element to the tunes during “A Night of Classical and Contemporary Music for Clarinet and Saxophone,” which will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the McComas Hall Theatre.
    Each concert showcases a different instrument and theme. Robert Damm will demonstrate how the world utilizes percussion Oct. 21.
    Lana Johns, a flautist, will perform with pianist Jackie Edwards-Henry on Nov. 8. Johns’ and Edwards-Henry’s performance will mesh the culture of the Czech Republic with the present culture in Mississippi. Elaine Peterson, scheduled for Feb. 5 will be featured on the bassoon.
    Rounding the Chamber Series out, the Golden Triangle Brass ensemble will perform “A Brass Bonanza Featuring the Talents of Four MSU Brass Faculty” on April 7.
    Music education department head Michael Brown said all the performers are held in high regard. “My colleagues are world class performers,” Brown said. “MSU is fortunate to have talent [and] musicians of this caliber.”
    Jackie Edwards-Henry’s and Sebba’s “Four Hands Recital,” will feature the two performing on the same piano simultaneously. “20 Fantastic Flying Fingers, Two Artists, One Piano” is scheduled for March.
    “We want to continue our student focus and to continue to bring top-quality performers to campus, to build interest in the series and to give audiences some top cultural opportunities,” university relations director Maridith Geuder said.