Band serves up hot rock at Rick’s Cafe

Rock band Ingram Hill performed last Wednesday night at Rick’s Cafe in Starkville. This was the latest in several instances where the band has played at Rick’s in the past. Since releasing its newest album, Cold in California, the band has been touring the country. Ingram Hill played in Tuscaloosa, Ala. last Tuesday night and were headed to Baton Rouge after the Rick’s show.
    “Oh yeah, We’re making the college towns,” lead vocalist Justin Moore said. “This week has been like the college town week.
    We’ve been to Tuscaloosa yesterday; we play Starkville tonight, Baton Rouge, then Hattiesburg on Saturday. So it’s full on. This week has been like the college town week.”
    The band considers the cafe’s owner Rick Welch a close friend, and they go way back.
    “Rick is like one of our best friends and was one of the first clubs to hire us when we first started,” Moore said, “I think we played here our first week together. I love coming back here because we’ve been here a million times, and it’s still always fun. I always like to see Rick and we always have a good time. It’s tough to argue with any of that.”
    “The last couple of times we’ve played here the crowd was good and it was a great show. Unless something is happening tonight that I don’t know about. Unless like Kenny Chesney is in town, I feel okay with what we have going on.”
    The evening started out slow for the opening band. The two man group Grayson Hill, who has been touring with Ingram Hill, started off to a small opening crowd.
    Ingram Hill played songs off its newest album and mixed it up with a keyboard and harmonica on two of their songs.
    The band is known for having energetic shows where it gets the crowd excited with great songs that many have heard and enjoyed before. Wednesday night was no different. When the band stepped out on stage, the crowd went wild.
    Ingram Hill immediately jumped into its first song of the evening and didn’t slow down until the show was over. A few times the guys got the crowd to join in on the singing.
    The band mixed it up with playing song from the new album, as well as playing songs from their past releases.
    At one point Moore said jokingly that the band was done for the night even though they had only played a handful of songs.
    Immediately the crowd roared for them to stay. Moore just walked right up to the microphone and said, “Just kidding.