Soccer team hungry for upset win

Should Mississippi State’s soccer team prevail over either of its two toughest conference rivals this weekend, the word “upset” might make a few appearances in ensuing headlines.The Lady Bulldogs travel to No. 17 Georgia on Friday before taking on No. 13 Tennessee on Sunday.
    Even with MSU (5-8-1, 1-4-1 SEC) on the wrong end of the Southeastern Conference Western Division, the team’s history implies that they are more than capable of upsetting the two top teams in the SEC East.
    Last year, a goal from Jessica Davis and two from Treena Ferguson helped State overcome the then No. 8 Lady Volunteers in a 3-2 upset.
    That victory accounted for half of the Lady Bulldogs’ wins that year, and with five wins already under their belts this season, the team has reason to be hopeful that history might repeat itself.
    The Lady Bulldogs are coming off a mixed weekend, battling to a scoreless tie with South Carolina on Friday before a 5-0 defeat to Florida on Sunday spoiled the end of their four-game home-stand.
    “Our midfield was really struggling,” head coach Neil MacDonald said of the game Sunday. “They weren’t getting touch-tight, and we were giving them too much time on the ball. If you give a talented team time on the ball, you get torn up, and that’s what happened.”
    After scoring 14 goals in their first seven games, the Lady Bulldogs have been shut out six of their last seven matches.
    Of State’s two opponents this weekend, Georgia (12-1-1, 5-0-1) can claim the better record, despite its lower national ranking.
    The Georgia Lady Bulldogs have been almost unstoppable this season, with their only dropped matches coming as a 1-0 loss away to No. 10 Southern California and a 1-1 tie in double overtime away to LSU.
    Georgia is the only unbeaten team in SEC play, and the team’s current nine match unbeaten streak ties a school record. The team has outscored its opponents 26-9, with a defensive record tied for first in the SEC.
    Georgia’s 3-2 overtime win at Vanderbilt was the first time this season the team has allowed more than one goal in a game.
    Sophomore Carrie Patterson, who earned SEC Player of the Week honors for her two game-winning goals over Vanderbilt and Kentucky last weekend, leads the team with seven goals.
    Tennessee (8-2-2, 3-1-1 SEC), meanwhile, have managed to keep winning despite scoring only 19 goals this season.
    Until Sunday’s 3-1 win over Vanderbilt, the Lady Vols were next to last in the SEC for goals scored, ahead of Florida and just behind MSU. Still with just 10 goals conceded, Tennessee has ground out the results, earning six shutouts for the season.
    Tennessee freshman Tanya Emerson notched two goals last weekend, helping the Lady Vols to victories over Kentucky and Vanderbilt and earning herself SEC Freshman of the Week honors. Junior Kylee Rossi leads the team in goals (5), assists (3) and points (11).
    Friday’s game against Georgia takes place at 7 p.m. at the UGA Soccer Stadium, while the match against Tennessee takes place at 1 p.m. at the Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville.