Kanye West moves up a level with newest effort ‘Graduation’

Kanye West released his latest album Graduation on Sept. 11 with a considerable amount of hype.
    West released his album on the same day as fellow hip-hop heavyweight 50 Cent in what was billed as the biggest release date in the genre’s history. West won that battle by outselling 50 Cent by almost 150,000 in album sales. He sold almost 783,000 copies of his album in the first week. West’s album definitely lived up to the hype as he got back his soulful roots and abandoned the more self indulgent music in Late Registration.
    The album starts off with “Good Morning,” a soulful track in which he enlists the help of mentor and Def Jam president Jay-Z. In this song he speaks about the struggle to follow conventional wisdom or to follow his heart and do what he wants to do.
    West affectionally transitions into “Champion,” a more self-indulgent yet soulful track which shows how he has mixed his older style with the new Kanye. He gives a shout-out to Lauryn Hill wishing she still was writing rhymes. He delivers two more keen tracks with “Stronger,” his second single, and “I Wonder,” which further enhances the quality of the album.
    He must have gotten some extra studying in with “Good Life” and lead single “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” which has served as a ring tone to many students on MSU’s and other campuses across the country.
    Despite a strong beginning to the Graduation album Kanye delivers lackluster efforts in “Barry Bonds” and “Drunk and Hot Girls” which features Lil Wayne and Mos Def, but they could not make up for a lack of good production. On these tracks it seems to be more glitz than substance.
    West decided to pick up his grade after mid-terms with “Flashing Lights and Everything I Am,” one of his more introspective songs to date. On “Everything I Am” he speaks on the struggles he went through before becoming famous.
    He even makes reference to how ridiculous some of his fellow rappers are getting.
    West appears to sample the Jackson Five with “The Glory” in which he boasts on the lifestyle he now lives by referencing how he lives next door to Tracee Ellis Ross, the daughter of Diana Ross. West speaks on his love affair with music in “Homecoming” using creative wordplay to describe his love of music.
    This song reminds many Kanye West fans why they began listening to him in the first place.
    West ends Graduation with a tribute song to his mentor Jay-Z in “Big Brother” which caused as much controversy as many thought would. It seemed to be a shot at the hip-hop great but at second glance it is shown to be a creative homage.
    He delivered in record sales and also on the content of this album.
    Although he does not quite live up to the critical acclaim of his debut album College Dropout, his latest LP is a welcome addition.
    West, in his own words, definitely got his money right on Graduation.