Friedeman advises students on politics

Conservative radio talk show host and columnist Matt Friedeman encouraged Mississippi State University students to take active roles in politics in their communities Tuesday in McCain Hall. The MSU Student Association sponsored the event.During the program, Friedeman discussed his experiences with Mississippi politics and encouraged the audience to become leaders in times of need. He also gave his predictions for Tuesday’s elections and the deciding factors behind each state-elected position.
    Getting students “in the fight” was one thing Friedeman said he hopes came out of the discussion.
    Friedeman, who has lived in Mississippi for more than 20 years and now teaches at Wesley Biblical Seminary, discussed the growth of his state involvements including founding and supporting various churches, volunteering to talk to prisoners in Jackson jails and protesting outside of abortion clinics.
    “For the first time in my life, I thought I was doing something more than talking,” Friedeman said.
    He said he was moved when an onlooker at a Jackson political meeting stood and took responsibility for some of the city’s political and social woes.
    “I thought to myself, ‘If I’m going to make a difference, I’m going to have to take responsibility,'” Friedeman said.
    Using metaphors, stories and quotes, Friedeman told students to get involved and take responsibility for what they believe in.
    “I come down strongly on just about every issue there is. I have opinions on everything,” he said. “You just need to know I’m a conservative guy.”
    Friedeman discussed the reason he was opposed to issues such as an educational lottery in Mississippi and the new casino laws, as well saying Mississippi’s fatherless child rate is somewhat to blame for the state’s economic situation.
    Friedeman said incumbent Gov. Haley Barbour will defeat John Arthur Eaves in the gubernatorial election because of the notoriety gained by Barbour in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
    “[Eaves] will be defeated by 15 percentage points,” he said. “[Barbour] showed leadership, or was perceived as a leader during Katrina and took him from 30 percent [approval rating] to well beyond 50 percent.”
    The agricultural commissioner position was one Friedeman said he is not sure about, but he suspects that Lester Spell will win.
    Friedeman also gave advice to students and voters who weren’t sure which candidate they favored.
    “If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t vote,” he said.
    Stuart Saulters, director of the SA community and governmental relations committee, said Friedeman is one of several speakers the SA has invited to speak on campus.
    “One of my goals was to increase political awareness of students at MSU,” Saulters said. “It’s a good opportunity to have him [speak].”
    Although Friedeman is considered controversial, Saulters said he hopes the speech will begin political interest and discussions on the eve of Tuesday’s elections.
    “We engaged some liberal student organizations to come and ask questions and engage him in conversation,” he said.
    Friedeman’s discussion impacted some students, such as undeclared sophomore Brian Parker, who said he needed to research more about political candidates.
    “[After hearing the speech] I’m not sure if I’m going to vote. I don’t know yet whether I will on Tuesday,” he said.