Letter to the Editor

“Captivating” is more than an “inspirational” book; it is about a relationship with God and not about women’s dependence on men to make them complete. “Captivating” and “Wild at Heart” were written to reveal the qualities of God that speak to women and men, respectively. Since “God created man in His own image” (Genesis 1:27), we can better understand the qualities of God if we understand the characteristics and desires of our own hearts. The human heart desires companionship, and the Lord, as a relational God, calls us into an intimate and personal relationship with him. Who isn’t looking to be known, loved and delighted in? “God is love” (1 John 4:16).
    The Lord is yearning for you, and he is pursuing you in an intimate and personal relationship. Denying that God wants a romantic relationship with you is rejecting his perfect love for us that is stated in Romans, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” He longs to be your best friend, savior, daddy, Prince Charming, adviser and lover.
    The feeling of inadequacy is the devil telling you that you are not good enough, and he wants you to believe this. But the Lord does not create anything less than magnificent.
    Remember, you were created in the image of an almighty God. There isn’t a better mold to be cast from. So often we fall captive to a cultural bondage and measure ourselves against the standards of the world. Stasi and John Eldredge are pleading to this generation who grew up in a self-indulged culture, “Seek the Lord and marvel at his beauty.”
    God is seeking you, and I plead with anyone with picks up “Captivating” not to read its words looking for it to be about you but to search the words written to you about the Lord.
    “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord,” Psalm 27:4.