College: ‘As free as you’ll ever be’

College students seem to be able to complain about a lot of things, including short-lived relationships, classes, grades or even a really cold day (which is perfectly OK to complain about because it’s ridiculously cold). But complain about a few of those petty things to someone over the age of 35, and you will probably get laughed at. I think that the average college student is anywhere from the age of 18 to 24, and there are millions of people over 24 who would kill to be anywhere in this age group again.
    After complaining about the aforementioned things to my grandmother over the weekend, I got some useful advice from her. She told me, “Bailey, you are young and full of life. If you don’t like something, just kick it to the curb.”
    So after getting over the “you dumb whippersnapper” slap to the back of the head, I took her advice into consideration. After all, she is a few decades older with half a dozen kids, so I think she knows a little bit more about life than I do. In my mind, it pretty much all boils down to this: If there is something you don’t like, and you have the ability to change it, you should do just that. Take full advantage of the fact that you have so many opportunities in life right now.
    As I mentioned before, one thing that young college students seem to complain about is relationships. I see no reason to be in a relationship with someone when it isn’t going well and you have to fight more than you are being fought for. There will be bumps in the road in a relationship because people aren’t perfect, but what is the point in being unhappy with someone you met a month ago when you’d be much happier without him or her?
    People also fuss about things they want to do, but early morning classes prohibit them from doing the things they love. For example, say your favorite band is having a concert nearby and you’ve been dying to go, but that 8 a.m. class the next morning is making you think twice about it. Taking the advice I was given, I would go, because after college, there isn’t going to be anymore “I’ll skip this class and get notes from someone later.” It will be, “Great, I have to go to work in the morning and stay there … all day.” I am very aware that right now, as students, our biggest concern should be school and getting a degree. But it’s very hard for me to keep that in mind when I know that after I graduate I will never get another spring break or three-month-long summer break ever again.
    So what is really stopping us from having the best time of our lives right now? I say whatever it is, “It’s for the birds.” Tests and things of that nature are very stressful, jobs are stressful, and of course, money situations are stressful. But two of the three things are probably not going to change for a while after we get out of college. I’m sure that a lot of people will find that dream job that makes them happier than anything else in the world; I know I hope I do.
    But until then, enjoy this chapter of life because although jobs can be enjoyable, nothing can be more enjoyable than doing something spontaneous and not having to explain yourself. You are about as free as you’ll ever be.