Bulldogs backcourt takes hit with loss of players

With the growing maturity of Jamont Gordon at point guard position, and the emergence of freshmen guards Ben Hansbrough and Berry Stewart, the Mississippi State men’s basketball backcourt left little room for anyone else. It was announced this week that sophomore twin guards Richard and Reginald Delk plan to transfer following the completion of the spring semester. Sophomore forward Bernard Rimmer also plans to leave the basketball squad.
    Head coach Rick Stansbury granted the three players permission to transfer, stating that more playing time was the main reason behind the departures.
    “Reginald, Richard and Bernard are all good people from terrific families, and we wish them the very best of luck in their future endeavors,” Stansbury said through an issued statement. “All three players are looking to play more minutes and want to play bigger roles than are currently available on this team.”
    All three players will have to sit out one year if they choose to transfer to another Division I program due to NCAA rules. They could play during the upcoming 2007-2008 season if they were to enroll at a lower-level program.
    MSU will miss the depth and experience the Delks and Rimmer would have brought to the upcoming season, and now will have to revise plans. The Bulldogs were thought to be a conference favorite going into the 2007-2008 season.
    Richard Delk played in all 35 games for the Bulldogs during last season. Richard averaged 5.7 points per game and 2.4 rebounds per contest.
    Reginald Delk, who played mostly at the small forward position, started all 35 games last season and averaged 9.7 points per game. In his freshman season, he held the MSU’s single-season freshman mark for 3-point field goals made with 59.
    Rimmer, who saw limited action in his two-year stint at Mississippi State, only played in 33 games combined leading up to the end of his sophomore season. Rimmer is expected to transfer to Georgia State, which is now coached by former Ole Miss coach Rod Barnes.
    With the departure of the Delks in the backcourt, the Bulldogs needed to add guard depth and hopefully accomplished that with the signing of Riley Benock, a guard from Meade County High in Brandenburg, Ky.
    Benock originally committed to William and Mary College, but changed his decision after learning of the opening at MSU. The 6-foot-5 inch Benock averaged 17.9 points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.3 assists a game as a senior at Meade County High School.