Letter to the Editor: Mistakes worsened VT tragedy

We were all horrified by [the] mass murder at Virginia Tech University last week. Since then the primary focus has been on mistakes made by various people on that tragic day. Unfortunately events taking place prior to the day of the massacre made a bigger contribution to it than all the mistakes on that day combined.
    These events were made by a number of different individuals or groups of people. The first mistake was made by the two women who complained that Cho was stalking them in 2005 but did not force the issue by obtaining restraining orders against him.
    Mistake No. 2 came as a result of a lawsuit which kept the university from dismissing Cho after expressing suicidal thoughts. I guess setting fire to a dorm room just wasn’t sufficient. Were they scared they would be accused of racial profiling because [Cho] happened to be an ethnic minority?
    The American legal system is the next failure leading to the tragic events. A complaint was made by a professor who threatened to leave her job if Cho was not removed from her classroom due to threatening remarks. An investigation was held and the courts determined Cho to be a danger to himself and others. Yet that information did not appear in the background check at the store where Cho bought the guns.
    Now let’s move on to members of the Virginia General Assembly who failed to act on House Bill 1572. This bill would have made it legal for college students and employees to carry handguns on campus. What part of “shall not be infringed” did these people not understand? (I’d explain the rest of that concept, but I don’t have enough room remaining in this letter to the editor.)
    In closing I leave you with one question. Why does the hierarchy at Virginia Tech still have a job?