Rush named preferred VP candidate

After a thorough nationwide search, Mississippi State has named John Rush as preferred candidate for vice president of development and alumni relations. Rush is currently the director for major gifts, a department that manages programs, annual funds for alumni and planned gifts through the university. As an undergraduate student at MSU in the college of business, Rush learned about the university and served as a roadrunner.
    Rush said that he uses his communication and persuasion skills developed as a roadrunner in his current job and will carry those skills over to his prospective job.
    The vice president of development and alumni relations acts as a mediator between members of the MSU Foundation and Alumni Association, faculty and alumni to develop programs to improve the university.
    If chosen for the position, Rush said he has three immediate goals: finish the State of the Future campaign, begin fundraising for the Reach for Excellence campaign and continue to grow alumni support, especially from young alumni.
    Bill Kibler, vice president of student affairs and chairman of the search committee, said that MSU interviewed many qualified candidates from across the United States.
    “We were looking for someone who had experience in high-end fundraising and working with alumni and alumni relations,” Kibler said. “Some of the qualities the search committee is looking for in a candidate include leadership and communication skills as well as a vision for the university’s future.”
    “I felt a very strong opportunity with fundraising and working very closely with President [Robert] ‘Doc’ Foglesong on his dreams and goals to further the university to where it is headed,” Kibler said.
    The committee chose Rush as the preferred candidate because of his credentials and experience, Kibler said. He said that Rush exceeded the committee’s expectations.
    “He spent his entire professional career in this area mostly at MSU,” Kibler said. “He is highly respected among colleagues and we [the committee] think that he will have great success in this position.”
    As director of major gifts, Rush is the architect in a number of aspects for the State of the Future campaign, Kibler said. Rush has assisted in leading the campaign by helping raise the money to finish one year earlier than planned.
    Jimmy Abraham, interim vice president for alumni and development took the interim position after Dennis Prescott left in December.
    He will step down when a candidate has been given the position. He said he has known Rush as a student at Mississippi State and has followed his career path closely with pride.
    “He has an outstanding work ethic and great knowledge of the fundraising profession and his passion for our university is second to none,” Abraham said. “John is an excellent choice to lead the division of development and alumni.”
    Kibler said that Rush has nine interviews before appearing in front the Institution for Higher Learning (IHL) board for approval.
    Rush will meet with students, the Faculty Senate, deans, vice presidents, the MSU Alumni Association and MSU Foundation this week to share his ideas and goals.