CAB hosts third annual Spring Fling at Davis-Wade

Davis Wade Stadium’s breezeway was filled with students, small children, inflatable games, the smell of free crawfish, music and one big, blue chair Wednesday. All were part of the third annual Spring Fling, Campus Activities Board’s final hurrah before exams rear their ugly head. The event was originally planned to take place at the MSU Amphitheater, but the recent wind and rain required the change in location.
    “It’s our last big bash of the school year for Campus Activities Board,” CAB Special Events Division Head Erica Nix said.
    “We always get crawfish and just get everybody to just come out and relax before finals.”
    The Crawfish comes from Brewski’s and Rosey Baby’s.
    “It is fantastic crawfish!” Nix said.
    Despite the theme of relaxation, there were an awful lot of activities going on at this year’s Spring Fling other than the devouring of crawfish. The festivities included caricature artist Steve Gipson, inflatable games from Jumpers in Columbus and a giant, inflatable blue chair which students could have their pictures taken in and made into key chains, provided by Kirkland productions. The inflatable games included an obstacle course, a battle arena with staves in the tradition of American Gladiators and a bungee run.
    “The inflatables have been a major hit with the children,” CAB member Patrick Young said.
    Caricature artist Steve Gipson also drew quite a crowd.
    “He’s from Tennessee,” Young said. “He’s a Civil War impersonator and one of the best caricature artists in the nation. He can do about 30 pictures an hour.”
    Entertainment was also provided by MSU Idol winner Daniel Gregory and Indie Artist Beau Bristow.
    “It was such an exciting experience,” Gregory said. “I love getting the chance to play at CAB -sponsored events, and it’s always an honor to be able to perform before my fellow students. I kind of wanted to do a lot of covers so that people would recognize it and maybe sing along if they wanted to, and I also did some of my original stuff so maybe they got a taste of that and liked it, hopefully.”
    Bristow performed accompanied only by his acoustic guitar.
    “Beau was a find at a conference in Birmingham,” Young said. “He didn’t perform, but he had a stand ,and he gave us some of his CD’s. We all really liked it. He’s from Nashville. (He’s) sort of a fusing of country and pop. We were very impressed.”
    The Spring Fling had an excellent turnout that surprised even CAB itself.
    “The turnout was more than what we expected,” Young said. “There’s a (big) line. We attracted a young audience this time around and a lot of families, so I think we definitely achieved our goal. It was open to anyone in Starkville or any of the neighboring counties.”
    While the music and activities were a definite plus, the festival’s primary draw for students was fairly evident.
    “Free mudbugs!” sophomore Zach Jordan exclaimed.
    “One of my friends told me about it,” freshman aerospace engineering major Daniel Smith said. “I came out here because I like crawfish. I did the little bungee thing and the jousting thing. I won, of course.”
    “I think it’s a good activity that will get people to come out and visit,” junior Pre-Vet major Drew Leach said. “I just wanted some crawfish.