Bulldogs drop Devils 13-2 at home

Left-handed freshman Tyler Whitney went five strong innings in his Bulldog debut.

Mississippi State won its fourth game of the season Tuesday, downing the Mississippi Valley State Devils 13-2, pushing its series record against the Delta Devils to 15-0.Freshman infielder Brandon Turner led the Diamond Dawgs with three hits, while Mitch Moreland drove in a game-high three runs.
    The Bulldogs got behind early when the Devils attacked MSU freshman starter Tyler Whitney for a first-inning run.
    Ross Myers crossed home plate on a Sean Bard double down the left field line in the opening frame.
    Whitney recovered and followed the first frame up with the four scoreless ones before being removed in the top of the sixth in favor of Jared Koon.
    Whitney (1-0) struck out three and walked only one in his first career start for the Bulldogs.
    MSU didn’t let the Devils’ opening run phase them, as the Bulldog offense pounded out three runs on four hits in the bottom of the first frame.
    Turner started the action with a double into the left field corner, and then Edward Easley tied the game on a single to left.
    The Bulldogs scored later in the inning on a single by Andy Rice, and then Jeff Flagg drew a bases-loaded walk to give MSU a 3-1 lead.
    MVSU scored its second run of the game in the seventh inning off of Koon, but would earn no more.
    State added two runs in the bottom of the seventh on Moreland’s first home run of the season.
    Rudy Casias earned the loss for MVSU, allowing eight runs on 13 hits in just four innings of work.