‘300’ showcases incredible visuals, battle scenes

It’s true that 300 Spartans led by King Leonidas stood their ground against the advancing Persian army some 2,500 years ago, but that is basically where the similarity between the true story and “300” ends, with great results.Director Zack Snyder’s (“Dawn of the Dead”) adaptation of Frank Miller’s (“Sin City”) graphic novel shines even through the gloom of what appears to be an endless army of Persian soldiers. This is one of the best-looking films in history, with vast detail poured into every visual aspect of the characters and the surrounding environments.
    The attention to Miller’s original work is painstaking, exactly mirroring the panels in the graphic novel consistently throughout the film. Gerard Butler appears to be an exact replica of Miller’s Leonidas, and a heavily made-up Rodrigo Santoro perfectly emulates the drawn version of the Persian King Xerxes.
    Light shines through the clouds onto the battlefield, bathing the warriors in a golden aura that juxtaposes well with the darkness emitted by the gigantic opposing army. The battle scenes are beautiful, blending fast and slow motion into a tense spectacle of violence. The action speeds up as the on-screen warrior connects a blow, then slows down again as he moves toward his next adversary. The result is stunning, especially since the well-choreographed fighting often finishes in only one take.
    The darkly humorous first battle pits the professional bodybuilders of Sparta against the Certified Public Accountants of Persia, ending quickly and without loss for the Spartans. It is the following battles that truly showcase the artful combat of the film.
    Mythological monsters and the undead come forth to attempt to destroy the small army, making the skirmishes more brutal. The variety of enemies furthers the stylish presentation of the film and keeps the action from becoming repetitive at any point.
    The only real clich incorporated into the film comes when one of the 300 thinks he has killed all the enemies around until one comes speeding out of the mist (surprise!) behind him. His comrades yell for him to turn around, but obviously he isn’t going to because he’s so proud of himself already.
    This is far from a perfect film. Slow motion, while used incredibly in battle, becomes overused in non-combat shots as nearly everyone in the film has to move at a snail’s pace to get just about anywhere, including the town well. The film would be considerably shorter if the characters were allowed to move at their natural paces.
    As far as the film’s pacing goes, once again the stronger side is shown in battle while the plot outside of the 300’s fight is sluggish and uninteresting. A completely unbelievable confrontation between Leonidas’ wife, Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey), and Theron (Dominic West) slows down the action. Almost everything that happens away from battle is of little consequence to the story and wouldn’t be missed if it were left out or sped up.
    The only semblance of plot twist can be seen coming from very early on, and when it finally comes it doesn’t change the plot enough to “twist” anything in a new direction. It’s more of a bump in the road.
    The acting is decent, though not much is required to flex and yell patriotic phrases. The performances from the various warriors fit well within the confines of war, which don’t allow for much. One particular scene shows Gerard Butler’s Leonidas walking over a sea of dead after a battle, calmly joking around with his men and eating an apple.
    Headey’s performance seems forced as she puts on worried face after worried face, lending no depth of character to Gorgo. West plays the typical corrupt official, interested in nothing but himself, smug and condescending. If these two had little more to work with in the script, they may have been more interesting, but as it stands, their characters are flat and hackneyed.
    This is a film to be seen for its outstanding visuals and impressive action. Those looking for a deep plot or broad characters will be disappointed, but the point of viewing this film is to have a good time, after all. “300” will be a cult classic for years to come.
    300
    Warner Bros. Pictures
    Rated R
    STARRING:
    Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, David Wenham and Dominic West
    THE VERDICT:
    An incredible visual effort, “300” stands out for its battles and special effects but lacks an engaging plot and
    deep characters.
    ____