Softball finishes better than .500 Tennessee games

The Mississippi State softball Bulldogs finished another 3-2 tournament outing Sunday in Chattanooga, Tenn., participating in the Jim Frost Classic on the campus of UT-Chattanooga.The Bulldogs (13-8) earned split decisions on each of the first two days of the tournament and came out Sunday with a tight win.
    MSU lost in its tournament opener to the Golden Eagles of Tennessee Tech by a 9-4 score.
    Senior starting pitcher Stephanie Comeaux earned her first loss of the season against TTU, giving up six hits in six innings, as well as three home runs.
    In the nightcap, Mississippi State bounced back to claim a close 3-2 victory over the Toledo Rockets.
    Junior left fielder Nakita Boyce led the Bulldogs offensively, reaching base three times and accounting for one of MSU’s runs.
    Saturday brought another bittersweet taste to the Bulldogs’ mouths.
    In the opening game Saturday, MSU came from behind to nick the Skyhawks of UT-Martin 6-5 in extra innings. Freshman catcher Chelsea Bramlett went 4-for-5 on the contest, scoring two runs and batting one run in.
    UT-Chattanooga played host to the Bulldogs in Saturday night’s game and did not welcome the Bulldogs cordially on the softball diamond.
    The Lady Mocs slammed the Bulldogs in only five innings by a mercy-rule score of 11-3.
    Senior center fielder Hayle Guess was the lone bright spot on the Bulldogs’ lineup card, going 2-for-2 in the contest with a double and scoring one run.
    The Bulldogs finished the Jim Frost Classic Sunday with a close defensive victory over the Lady Govs of Austin Peay, 2-0.
    Sophomore Kelsey Nurnberg pitched six strong innings for the Bulldogs, allowing no earned runs on only two hits and striking out three.
    She would go on to earn her first save of the season.
    The Bulldogs will return to Starkville this week to take on a couple of out-of-state opponents before readying themselves for SEC play.
    Tuesday, MSU will take on Indiana State at 3 p.m., and Wednesday, the Bulldogs will clash with Samford at 4 p.m.