Lady Dawgs host Blazers

The Lady Bulldogs will face the UAB Blazers Sunday in a non-conference game at Humphrey Coliseum.
    MSU and UAB are tied 12-12 in the series with the Blazers taking the last game last season.
    The Lady Bulldogs (4-1) will be looking to take the lead in the series with the help of junior forward Imesia Jackson, who leads MSU with 12.3 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per game and junior guard Robin Porter who is averaging 11 points and 6.3 rebounds.
    Head coach Sharon Fanning is pleased with the way the season is going so far for the Lady Dawgs.
    “I wanted to be undefeated, but I want us to learn from our setbacks,” Fanning said. “I am happy about the contributions off the bench, and I am optimistic about our depth and versatility. We must keep playing hard, smart and together for 40 minutes.”
    The UAB Blazers come in to Starkville having not yet won a game but are led by the dynamic duo of senior guard Carmen Guzman, who comes into MSU averaging 22.6 points a game, and Mississippi native Junior Diamond Rogers, who adds 16 points a game and 5.8 rebounds a game along with 10 steals.
    Fanning expects to bring the duo to a halt with fundamental basketball and tough defense.
    “Every game-regardless of the opponent-will come down to defense, rebounding and shot selection,” Fanning said. “We want to contest shots, take away layups and limit second shots.”
    One can’t talk about the Lady Dawgs’ defense without mentioning guard Marneshia Richard.
    Richard leads the Lady Bulldogs with 10 steals on the year and credits her steals to team play.
    “I am just anticipating what the opponent is doing and keeping my hands in the passing lanes,” Richard said.
    “UAB’s guards can shoot the 3 and penetrate to the goal and run a lot of motion,” assistant coach Nitra Perry said. “We need to be prepared to defend one-on-one and defend screen and force their guards to the rim.”
    Fanning has also issued a challenge to the Bulldog faithful.
    Sunday’s game is “Take a Kid to the Game” day. Fanning wants all Bulldog fans to not only attend Sunday’s game but to also bring along a kid or two, and they will get in free of charge.
    “We need [fan] support at the game,” Fanning said. “[Their] energy and enthusiasm has made a difference in our success in the past and can do the same for the future.”