Basketball Dawgs return home for win

Ben Hansbrough had season highs in both points and rebounds Wednesday night in MSU’s 78-69 victory over the Charlotte 49ers.
    Hansbrough had 15 points on 4-of-7 shooting and also grabbed six crucial boards.
    “He plays wide open,” MSU head coach Rick Stansbury said. “It was one of his better games, but when he slows the tape down in his head, he will be a lot better.”
    Jamont Gordon led the Bulldogs (3-2) with 20 points, while freshman Barry Stewart added 13.
    Gordon was 6-for-10 from the field, and also led the team in rebounds for the fourth time this year with 12, earning his fifth career double-double.
    “He played awfully well and awfully hard,” Stansbury said. “I think Jamont did the best job he’s done all season of pushing and letting up when he needed to. I don’t think he forced one play off the dribble in the second half.
    “When he plays like that he helps our team immensely.”
    Junior Charles Rhodes was the only other Bulldog in double figures with 11.
    State committed a season-low 11 turnovers-two in the second half-and shot better than 50 percent from the free-throw line to secure their first victory in three games.
    “That’s really good for us,” Stansbury said. “It all starts with good point guard play.”
    The win improves State to 3-0 all-time against the 49ers, winning 53-58 last season in Charlotte in the two teams’ first game since MSU’s 87-68 victory in 1971.
    The 49ers (2-3) led by 6 early in the first half, but they could not contain the Bulldog offensive attack.
    MSU shot just over 42 percent from the field in the opening half, sinking 5-of-10 3-point shots.
    Forward E.J. Drayton tied the game just before the half on a jumper, but Hansbrough sank a running 3-pointer at the buzzer to give State a 29-26 halftime advantage.
    The second half was a physical battle, as Charlotte committed 21 fouls and MSU added another eight. The Bulldogs grabbed a season-high 46 rebounds in the contest and earned 28 points in the paint.
    Gordon received a technical foul with just over three minutes left in the contest for shoving Charlotte forward Sean Phaler after the two tied up while diving for a loose ball.
    The 49ers were led by Leemire Goldwire, who had 23 points and went 7-for-8 from the free-throw line. De’Angelo Alexander added 14 points, and Drayton chipped in 12 in the losing effort.
    “Obviously we have a long way to go,” Charlotte head coach Bobby Lutz said. “Maybe we will start moving in that direction and eventually get there.”
    The Bulldogs with continue their second homestand Saturday against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, while Charlotte will move on to Indiana, facing the 3-2 Hoosiers.