Rupp receives MSU position

When he steps down as Columbus mayor today, Jeffery Rupp will prepare to return to somewhat familiar territory at Mississippi State, where his career began.
    He will begin working as director of community and government relations on Wednesday, but his new position in the office of MSU President Doc Foglesong will send Rupp into uncharted waters.
    Rupp’s face is familiar to those in the Golden Triangle, who watched him present the news for WCBI-TV in Columbus for 15 years. A Pennsylvania native, graduated from Temple University in the field of radio, television and film.
    Now in his second term as Columbus’ mayor, Rupp has decided to put his knowledge of government to use for MSU and won Foglesong’s praise for his efforts to improve Columbus.
    “I was looking for someone who could work in economic development,” Foglesong said. “I needed someone in the community end, someone who understands the government. I [didn’t] want to put him in a compromising position.”
    To ensure a positive situation for Rupp, Foglesong allowed him to decide when would be best to step down as mayor.
    Rupp acknowledged that the decision came at a mutually beneficial time.
    “Columbus is in the best shape that it has been in years,” Rupp said.
    But he will continue to work to strengthen the community after he resigns as mayor, he said.
    “It is still public service,” Rupp said, referring to his new position at State.
    Rupp leaves behind a city of constituents who appreciate his contributions.
    “He is going to be able to do more good for the area,” said Derek Rogers, WCBI/UPN Mississippi marketing specialist.
    Columbus residents may regret his departure, but Rupp’s contributions will continue to show rewards.
    “The changes in Columbus have been very positive,” Rogers said.
    “You can see that around town. If he is going to do good for the Golden Triangle area, then I am all for it. I know for him to leave his position as mayor it would have to be something that would be for the greater good of the people in the area. It would be different if he were going off somewhere, but he’s not. He is still going to be right here.”
    Foglesong said Rupp’s ability to understand the needs of communities in this area make him the right person for this position.
    “Jeffery is a smart guy, very articulate; he has proven himself in the community,” Foglesong said. “He told me he wants to help take the university to the next step.”
    Rupp and Foglesong’s business relationship began years ago when the former general led Columbus Air Force Base. Their friendship continued after Foglesong’s command came to an end.
    “I never thought Doc would be president, but when he did [become president], he made it clear he wanted me on his team. I just didn’t expect it to develop this fast,” Rupp said.
    “It all matured one day when we were both in Washington,” Foglesong said. “I told him what I was looking for to fill a position I had, and we talked about it and realized he fit my skill sets.”
    Foglesong had a vacant position after one of his assistants went to work for another department and revamped the qualities he wanted the person to have for the available job.
    “I was looking for someone who could work in economic development, the community end,” Foglesong said.
    “The skill sets I was looking for were, one, familiarity with the communities. Two, the person has to be representative of the university and me, and three, they have to help in the recruiting campaign. I have made this the year of championing recruiting.”
    The new position also creates a shift in authority for Rupp.
    “I have kind of been the boss for a long time now. I have not had someone over me, and now I think I picked one of the toughest bosses. Doc knows what he wants, and I admire that about him,” Rupp said.
    Foglesong said he will delegate responsibilities to those working with him.
    “I will give mission orders and the details can be worked out by the staff, and the assistants will make sure it is in the right manner,” Foglesong said.
    Rupp is going to be one of President Foglesong’s three assistants. Each of the three assistants has different duties, whether they are outside or inside the university.
    “Jeffery can help me meet the public. In a sense I often find myself where there are two or three different arrangements where I should discuss what is going on. I can only be in one place at a time though,” Foglesong said. “So I was looking for someone articulate and that could be my ability to talk to people when I cannot be there, a representative of my office.”
    Rupp says his communication skills and ties to officials at multiple levels helped him get the job, along with some accomplishments as mayor.
    His experiences will help him as Foglesong’s right-hand man, he said, since he has experience at being available for people all the time, bettering a community and having good communication skills.
    “Being mayor is a 24/7 job and a relationship with the community,” Rupp said. “Building coalitions is how things get done.”
    “The partnership we are about to form will be very productive to the university and to the state,” Foglesong added. “The skill sets he brings to the job will be very useful.”
    Foglesong is trying to bring in the talent to help him with the initiatives in his vision statement.
    A great university needs great leaders to set the example. Rupp’s efforts will focus on transforming goals into reality, he said.
    “My goals are Doc’s goals,” Rupp said. “I am going to focus on getting done what he wants for MSU.”