Culberson centerpiece to experienced linebacker core

The linebacker unit heads into the season looking very impressive.
    All three of last year’s starters are returning, being led by senior All-SEC selection Quinton Culberson.
    Culberson has played in 30 career games, receiving the starting call in 24 of those and led the team in tackles in 2005.
    Out of powerhouse Mississippi high school Provine, Culberson came to MSU and made an immediate impact, playing at outside and middle linebacker, and in the secondary.
    He was the first true freshman to start in 20 years and has continued compiling great numbers ever since.
    Coming into the season, he has 176 total tackles, four double-digit tackle games, and two interceptions.
    “The linebackers have come a long way in that we’re learning our assignments and our schemes,” Culberson said. “We’re just working hard at trying to have a good season.”
    Also returning is Gabe O’Neal, who played in all 11 games his sophomore season, starting the final five.
    He picked up 34 tackles on the year. O’Neal hopes to have tremendous success this season after being in coach Croom’s system his entire collegiate career.
    With 21 games under him, O’Neal is the number one strong linebacker ahead of sophomore Anthony Littlejohn.
    Littlejohn played in all 11 games and started eight at weak side linebacker after being redshirted his true freshman season. He tallied 22 tackles with four for a loss.
    Coming out of Englewood High School in Jacksonville, Fla., he was ranked as one of the top 60 linebackers in the southeast by PrepStar magazine in the pre-season and post-season issues.
    Jamar Chaney played in all 11 games in his true freshman season, earning three at weak side linebacker, where he starts this season.
    He racked up 31 total tackles on the season.
    Number two behind Chaney is junior Carlton Rice.
    He redshirted his freshman season, and has seen action in every game since then.
    Although he has only 10 total tackles he is very athletic and sees action on special teams. He runs a 4.6 40-yard dash.
    Senior Brad Horton, who played in 32 games at MSU, comes into the 2006 season with 30 tackles.
    There are some new faces to the linebacker corps.
    One of the bigger names is Timmy Bailey.
    He has served time in Iraq as part of an 18-month active duty assignment.
    He will bring an abundance of mental toughness and athleticism to the unit.
    He is credited with being able to run a 4.6 40 and has a 41-inch vertical leap.
    Transferring from Mississippi Delta Community College he led his team with 95 tackles his only season there.
    Joining the team this season is Jamon Hughes.
    Hughes, the No. 34 inside linebacker prospect in the country out of Humphreys County High, recorded 643 tackles in his career, with 181 of those in just nine games his senior season.
    Also from Madison Central High is Mark Brown.