President revamps cabinet

With the arrival of the university’s new president in April, several changes have occurred throughout the president’s executive council and staff.
    “We’ve kind of re-engineered to make sure we’re better postured to accomplish the university’s goals,” MSU President Robert “Doc” Foglesong said.
    The biggest change will be the departure of Ray Hayes, the university’s vice president for finance and administration, vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said.
    “Ray Hayes has accepted a position as [head of finance] with the University of Alabama system,” Kibler said.
    Hayes said he accepted the position on Aug. 1. He will work at MSU until Sept. 15. His official title will be vice chancellor for financial affairs at the University of Alabama, where he will be responsible for the Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Huntsville campuses.
    “He’s done an incredible job here,” Foglesong said.
    However, Hayes said he was very torn about leaving.
    “I love this institution and had really planned to stay here for awhile, but this was just a great opportunity,” Hayes said.
    An interim organization will be taking over Hayes’ responsibilities, and a search will be conducted for a new vice president of finance and administration. However, the university would like to be thorough during the search, Foglesong said.
    “We want to make sure we get the right person,” he said.
    Mike McGrevey, who served as president of the Montgomery Institute in Meridian, will now serve the university as the president’s chief of staff, Kibler said.
    In areas such as sports and academics, McGrevey will make sure everyone is on the same page to see the overall plan, Foglesong said.
    “Somebody at the end of the day has to be the person to integrate these activities,” Foglesong said.
    Kibler said McGrevey’s new position will benefit the university in many ways.
    “He’s doing a great job and has worked with Dr. Foglesong before. He brings an outside perspective to this university,” Hayes said.
    Foglesong works seven days a week, and he needs someone to work closely with him who can serve as a constant help, Hayes said.
    “[Foglesong] is always doing something, and McGrevey serves as the chief support staff to the president,” he said.
    Another new addition to the president’s staff will arrive on Aug. 31 to begin his job maintaining the relationship between communities around the state of Mississippi and the university. Jeffrey Rupp, who stepped down as mayor of Columbus last week, will serve as director of community and government relations, Kibler said.
    “He has great skills in economic development with communities,” Foglesong said. “I would anticipate him being another voice in representing the university in any number of ways.”
    Mel Ray, who served as an assistant to the president, has been promoted to associate vice president for research. Also, the university hired Mary Alexander as an assistant to the president. She will teach two classes each semester as well, and President Foglesong said he hopes she will keep him plugged into the academic side of the university.