Readers react to ‘Flags’

Anger. Hatred. Disgust. These feelings have been directed at me after the publication of an article, “Flags should wave, fly no more.”
    First, I want to thank all of those who shared their thoughts in a rational way. That’s what the opinion section is supposed to accomplish: rational discussion.
    I would be delusional if I didn’t admit that something was lost in translation. Otherwise, respectable people wouldn’t lash out at a writer with such vigor.
    I don’t want to mislead anyone. I still believe strongly in what I wrote. However, whereas the message was logically solid, it could have used better delivery.
    In case you’ve been wondering, I don’t believe a ban on flags is at all possible-the First Amendment backs that up. My statements about flag banning were hyperbole. In other words, they represented a personal reaction, not an actual argument.
    However, the rest of my article had rationale. America and its people have reached an incredible height of superficiality. When we can watch more than one show dedicated to plastic surgery, you know something’s wrong.
    So I looked for a fresh angle to show that superficiality. Whether any of you believe it or not, there is a problem when people treat a flag-no matter what it stands for-with more respect and thought than their fellow humankind. I also pointed out that flags, excluding ensigns at sea, have lost much of their practical use.
    In short, I believe American tradition supercedes true conviction more often than not.
    Next, I want to address the lies people have been creating about me. People have accused me of being against the military and unappreciative of soldiers in general. This line of thinking is more misguided than a mother giving lit firecrackers to her baby.
    On the contrary, although I have no use for flags, I have the utmost respect for the American military. It doesn’t matter if I agree with the war in question. It doesn’t matter if a few soldiers make mistakes. I realize the bigger picture. They are putting other people before themselves, and I will always respect that. I even wrote an article about how using statistics about dead soldiers in an argument is disrespectful.
    Bottom line, you don’t have to love a flag to love your country or its citizens. It’s unfortunate some people can’t realize that.
    Lastly, others have implied that my article had no factual support. Again, wrong. Confederate flags create needless harm, ensigns are practical and schools often strongly instruct students to say the Pledge of Allegiance and revere the flag. Someone actually sent me a law that says the schools are supposed to give children a choice (and that children wouldn’t suffer at all from not saying the pledge). That’s the logical equivalent of saying, “Hey, it’s against the law to possess marijuana, so no one owns any!” It doesn’t work that way.
    On the other hand, whether symbols create superficiality is pure opinion. No one can prove or disprove it.
    To conclude, I appreciate all the letters and responses. Reader comments go a long way in improving the opinion section.