Student suicide rates increase

Suicide rates among college students have increased in recent years, prompting many colleges and universities to find a way to curb the estimated 1,100 student suicides that happen each year, according to the Associated Press.
    In one case at New York’s Hunter College, a depressed student who attempted to end her life by swallowing dozens of Tylenol capsules got expelled from her residence after the ordeal.
    The school informed her that she violated her housing contract by attempting suicide.
    Only in the presence of a security guard was the young woman able to retrieve her belongings.
    In other schools, the resident advisers and college administration take a more proactive approach, requiring mandatory counseling after suicide attempts occur.
    State judges have ruled in a few cases that colleges might have a duty to prevent suicide if the risk to the student was foreseeable.
    Dean of students Mike White said he agrees with the proactive approach because he believes the university has a direct obligation to assist students.
    “I think we are proactive, and many times an attempt at suicide is a cry for help,” he said. “I think we have an obligation to be there and apply the appropriate assistance for them.”
    White said the university’s official policy is nothing like the Hunter College regulation.
    “We don’t have a policy that would automatically expel a student because they would attempt suicide. The first response is to get the student help,” White said. “Now obviously, we can’t allow the environment to be so disruptive as to interfere with other students’ right to learn.”
    Student housing director Ann Bailey says that in cases of attempted suicide the student wouldn’t necessarily be evicted but possibly moved to another residence for other students’ consideration.
    “If we had an attempted suicide, we would get medical personnel involved, the dean of students involved and the Counseling Center involved,” Bailey said. “Once we got medical attention for the student, we would let trained personnel make a recommendation to us as to what we needed to do.”
    White said there could be times where a student may be asked to get help, but there is no mandatory policy that forces students into a counseling program.
    “We do everything we can to make sure the student stays in the classroom,” he said.
    According to a 2004 study on college suicide, 45 percent of students indicated they were so depressed that they found it difficult to function, and 10 percent of those seriously considered suicide.
    Though not as prevalent as in cases of non-enrolled adult males, suicide ranks as the second leading cause of death among college students, according to the American Psychiatric Association.
    Outreach coordinator Amy Stapleton said she educates faculty members and students in residence hall positions in an attempt at early prevention.
    “I’m trying to educate residence advisers because they’re going to notice it before I ever will. I think the focus on preventive education is absolutely key,” Stapleton said. “Ultimately we do have the students’ best interests in mind and can respond in a compassionate way to give them the care they need whether here or in the community.”
    Stapleton works for the university’s Student Counseling Services. The group provides assistance to students experiencing problems with social, psychological and academic functioning.
    The last suicide on campus occurred in 2003, when an international student set himself on fire. Beatrice Tatum, now the director of the SCS organization, had just started working at the university.
    “The student set himself on fire. It was on campus, near where the Vet School is located,” Tatum said. “We were called to help those related to the individual. Students may say ‘I feel so suicidal’ or something like that, but we take it very seriously here.”
    Tatum said many people don’t like bringing it up to those who they suspect may have a problem because they don’t want to put the idea of suicide in the individual’s head.
    “I think a lot of times, we’re afraid or hesitant to inquire about it. It’s important not to avoid [the issue], and you can get them the help that they need,” Tatum said. “I encourage students, especially in residence halls, to call and let authorities know. People may get mad, but it’s better to have a mad friend than a dead friend.”
    Stapleton agrees. She said the organization is always available to assist students with any issues that may arise.
    “If someone’s contemplating suicide, we encourage them to come by our office or make an appointment,” Stapleton said. “We’re also available through campus police if it becomes an emergency.”
    For more information on the Student Counseling Services organization, visit its Web site at www.msstate.edu/dept/cts/.