Arrested Development stays strong throughout final season

How would the world of television look today if ܬSeinfeldܬ had not been given a chance? What if NBC had decided to put the fledgling show on the backburner, place it in horrendous timeslot after horrendous timeslot and fund practically no marketing whatsoever for the show?
    Few would have noticed. The select viewers of ܬSeinfeldܬ would have been disappointed, perhaps even outraged, but there would have been no action to take, and Americans everywhere would have missed out on a cultural phenomenon. This scenario has occurred on Fox, and the victim is ܬArrested Development.ܬ
    ܬArrestedܬ is a sitcom about Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman) and his inept, uncaring and utterly self-seeking family. His father, George Bluth Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor), former head of a large Orange County housing firm, has been charged with countless crimes including larceny and treason, and is dead set on running from the law. Michaelܬs son, George Michael (Michael Cera), is the only other unselfish person in the family, but he just so happens to have a crush on his cousin, Maeby Fܬnke (Alia Shawkat), who he has known only a short time.
    Maebyܬs father Tobias (David Cross) is one of the more memorable characters, his sexual orientation confusing since nearly everything he says is a double entendre for a risquܬ act. This creates some of the more quotable lines in the show, such as ܬI just canܬt wait to taste those leading man parts in my mouth,ܬ referring to an acting role.
    ܬArrested Developmentܬ at its core is driven by deep, creative and multilayered writing. Jokes are occasionally hinted at episodes before they actually take place, giving a consistent viewer numerous ܬI remember that!ܬ moments, which adds a little something extra to the experience. The sets and locations will often have signs, fliers or other written comedic points that are never directly referenced, remaining in the background for those with careful eyes to pick out. For instance, Franklin, a ventriloquist dummy with an overly stereotypical African-American demeanor can be seen wearing a shirt reading ܬGeorge Bush Does Not Care About Black Puppets.ܬ
    The third and final season of the prematurely-cancelled sitcom proves to be as boisterous and unpredictable as the previous two. Fueled by strong anti-Fox feelings and a knack for irreverence, the writing escalates into the absurd, broaching the subjects of beautiful mentally-retarded females (MR Fs), James Bond parodies, inane television gimmickry and jabs at the Bush administration.
    Ron Howardܬs narration is one of the defining factors of ܬArrested Development,ܬ with his omniscience providing new outlooks on each situation. He often purposefully contradicts characters, notes that they are wrong about something, calls them out on lies or makes sure the viewer knows just how confused some of them can be. The result is hilarious, a gem of originality.
    The show went out with a bang, not giving up until the final episode was shot. Series finales are often overly emotional and intended to jerk tears, but this show went out as ludicrously as it began, without letting up or tying every loose end of the plot. This is a must-see two-disc set with hilarious commentary and deleted scenes, though watching the set for the show makes more sense than for the extras.
    In a year or so, this show will probably regain ground in syndication, though new episodes are doubtful. Bid farewell to what was the greatest sitcom on television. It was ܬArrested Development.ܬ
    ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT:
    SEASON THREE
    FOX
    Rated TV-14
    STARRING:
    Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, David Cross and Tony Hale
    THE VERDICT:
    The final season of the award-winning sitcom does not feature a single poor episode, delivering the high quality comedy expected of the show accompanied by strong audio commentaries. The other bonus features are funny, though more could have been included.
    Feature: 4/4 stars
    Extras: 3/4 stars