Alum goes Naked

Many people have walked through the halls of Mississippi State University, becoming successful students and eventually successful adults.
    Tom Hicks, a 1984 business and industry graduate of MSU, has helped to build up and become president of a multi-million dollar business. The company, Naked Juice, Inc., produces fruit juices and distributes them nationwide.
    After serving four years in the Army, Hicks, native of Calhoun City, decided to further his education at MSU.
    “I love MSU. I had a great time there,” Hicks said.
    While at MSU, Hicks took an active part in the Greek system as a member of Phi Kappa Tau. He was president of his fraternity from ’82-’83 and was also a member of the Interfraternity Council from ’82-’84, where he was in charge of interfraternity relations.
    Even while in college Hicks possessed a businesses intellect enough to impress any teacher.
    After his junior year, his funds started to run dry, and Hicks needed to figure out a way to pay for his senior year.
    He decided to throw a back-to-school party for MSU students.
    “It was the very first back to school party MSU has ever had,” Hicks said.
    After asking the fraternities not to have any parties during the first week of school, he raised $5,000 to get the party off the ground. The party, located on 15 acres of pastureland in Columbus, took three months to put together.
    As a result, the party was an extreme success with 5,000 people attending, creating a profit of about $14,000 for Hicks.
    After graduating, Hicks founded a Chicago-based juice manufacturer that eventually merged with Naked Juice, Inc., which was started by a man who made the smoothies by hand on a beach in Santa Monica, Calif.
    After the drink caught on, the founder decided to go commercial with the product by selling it at small grocery stores first, then eventually all over Los Angeles, and now all over the country.
    Naked Juice, Inc. now grosses more than $100 million per year.
    “The simpler you can make a business, the higher the possibility of success,” Hicks said when commenting on how to build a successful business. “Business is about people,” he added.
    Naked Juice got its unusual name because of the all-natural products used as its ingredients.
    “It is called Naked Juice because we have nothing to hide. No preservatives or added sugar. Just bare-naked fruits,” Hicks said.
    Currently, Naked Juice makes 25 different flavors of juice, each being part of a “Functional Family.”
    Each “Family” gives a different group of benefits, including superfoods, antioxidants, proteins, well-being, energy and just juice.
    The nutritional value is significant considering there is a pound of fruits or vegetables in every 15.2 ounce bottle.
    “The product focuses on flavor,” Taylor Adams, marketing coordinator for MSU dining services said.
    MSU students can find Naked Juice at the State Fountain Bakery and McArthur Court. It is expected to be at the Sanderson Center by the end of the week.
    “It is a really great product, something for everyone,” Adams said.
    “It really has a wonderful flavor. If you drink strawberry-banana, that’s exactly what you get. I can see why it’s called Naked Juice,” Courtney Carver, a junior human science major, said.
    “If you want to be successful, set goals, stay focused, and go after it,” Hicks said.