Campus welcomes prospective students

High school and community college students from around the region have been invited to Mississippi State Saturday for the university’s annual Fall Discovery Day.
    Designed to inform prospective students and their parents about all aspects of the 128-year-old land-grant institution, the 9 a.m.-to-noon public program will be held on the historic Drill Field.
    The centerpiece Academic Fair will provide specific information on MSU’s various degree programs, student services, campus organizations and related areas.
    The event is also helpful in allowing campus organizations to showcase their involvement and increase interest.
    MSU President Robert “Doc” Foglesong said he hopes students will be encouraged to find out what Mississippi State has to offer.
    “I hope they will discover that MSU is an institution that offers challenges and opportunities for a wide spectrum of students, no matter what their academic or extracurricular interests,” Foglesong said.
    The university utilizes Discovery Day as an admissions event.
    “The event is put on by Student Affairs, but the Office of Admission and Scholarships takes the main role in organizing the event,” said Bill Kibler, vice president for student affairs.
    As one of the year’s biggest recruitment events, a great deal of planning goes into making sure all aspects of Discovery Day run smoothly.
    “Every aspect of MSU is involved in some way,” Nathan Moore, orientation coordinator for the Office of Admissions and Scholarships, said. “This is one of the biggest one-day events that students can come [to] this semester.”
    Upward of 3,000 people, including prospective students and parents, are expected to attend the event this year, so all departments of the university make sure to attract visitors and inform them more about what one could expect from their department.
    “This is one of the more special days during fall semester. Discovery Day has a great atmosphere, and it is just a great way to portray the university and really show it off,” Moore said.
    However, Discovery Day is not entirely business. Moore also noted that the day would include Blackhawk helicopters, Army avengers, food and live entertainment.
    Students can look forward to hearing extracurricular groups such as the MSU Jazz Band, Black Voices and the Famous Maroon Band.
    Sanderson Center tours will be given from 10 a.m. to noon, with a shuttle bus departing from the west side of the Drill Field. Campus and housing tours will be also be given from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., with tours departing from the big-top tent.
    This year, Discovery Day is being held in conjunction with the 2006 Homecoming celebration and the 1:30 p.m. MSU-Jacksonville State University football game.
    Beginning at 9 a.m., a limited number of $10 football game tickets will be available for sale to Discovery Day participants.